'Don't tell him Pike'.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
My Dad's 97 this year and he was too young, so anyone who fought younger would mostly be Germans who in '44/'45 may have been calling up boys to fight as a last ditch stand.
My father would have been 100 this week, so just 15 in 1939. He was a sheet metal worker, which was a reserved occupation, so he spent the European war on aircraft work, like repairing bullet holes in Spitfire fuel tanks etc. After VE day he was conscripted into the Navy, but never saw active service. At the time they dropped the bomb they had the reserve fleet moored in the Orwell between Shotley Point & Ipswich, waiting for orders to go out to the far east, then after they were stood down he spent the rest of his time until demob breaking up air raid shelters in Bath.

In WW2 my Dad was in the RAF - ground crew working on bombers

His Dad - my GranDad was in the Home guard as he was too old to enlist - but had been in WW1 - Royal Horse Artillery doing something with horses

My Dad always referred to the Home Guard by their original name - The LDV
Look Duck and Vanish

apparently - any problems near the RAF bases when the Home Guard were supposed to be on patrol and they were never to be found so the base staff had to sort it out - and Ground Crew were often easy to find!

That's what he said - or gave the impression of anyway
(bringing up the war near my GranDad was not a good idea - at the time I never knew why - but he was injured in WW1 and I think it affected him - otehr than that he seemed wel adjusted as long as you didn;t go round on remembrance day and a couple of other days)

presta

Guru
I had an uncle who was in the RAF, but not in the air. He served on a motor launch based in Gibraltar that they used for retrieving the downed pilots.

presta

Guru
I've just seen this:

1707179594804.png

I didn't know they were mates.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just seen this:

View attachment 720917

I didn't know they were mates.
I didn't know that either. A lovely tribute!

My dad was in the Royal Engineers.

Bomb disposal in Britain...

UXBs in colour.png

(Picture restored and colourised by me)

After D-day, mine clearance, bridge building etc. on the way to Germany.

When I was a teenager he told me a story about mine clearance which I found hard to believe at the time. He and his RE mates were painstakingly clearing a German minefield when the Russians arrived. The Russians were impatient to move on in pursuit of the retreating Germans and the Russian officer in charge told the British officer to pull his men back. The Russians would do the job instead and much more quickly, which they did... by marching their men straight across! Several were killed or maimed by exploding mines, but sure enough, they cleared a path in minutes. Seeing how things are now in Ukraine, I can see that my dad was not exaggerating how callously Russian officers treated their men!

In keeping with the Dad's Army theme... A Dutch freighter was bombed by the Germans near Oban on Christmas Eve 1940. The ship had a mixed cargo which included 10 race horses, reputedly belonging to the Aga Khan. As the ship was sinking, the horses were set free in the hope that they would swim to safety. Some got to shore near my mum's village. My mum told me a story which is also mentioned on the Yorkshire Divers forum...

Not sure if it is true but the cottage owner said that one of the horses ended up being shot by the Home Guard as they were searching on the beach at night and heard noises and in classic Dad's Army style shouted "Halt, who goes there!" a couple of times. No answer was given and the noises continued so shots were let off. In the morning, an ex-horse was found.

:whistle:

Dave7

Legendary Member
My dad was a Spitfire pilot in WW 2, hence my avatar. Volunteered aged 18, even though he was in a reserved occupation (he was a coal miner). Shot down over southern England and later went to Burma. He'd have been 103 this year.

Similar to my FiL except he was in the army. Enlisted at 16 (by lying). Served in Burma, was wounded twice. Captured by the Japanese then later freed by American soldiers.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have the boxed set and i will take it to my grave.Pure comedy genius.Allo Allo is another fave plus MASH and it aint half hot mum.

Don't forget Thin Blue Line

My dad was a Spitfire pilot in WW 2, hence my avatar. Volunteered aged 18, even though he was in a reserved occupation (he was a coal miner). Shot down over southern England and later went to Burma. He'd have been 103 this year.

*Reserved occupation” was a bit fuzzy except for very particular trades (flour miller was one such) . My father did the first version of conscription 6 months military training in the militia as it was called with a Yorks. TA unit of artillery starting in August ‘39, at the end of six months his previous employer could recall him as a time-served tradesman and they did, even though he wanted to stay in the mob. others in semiskilled occupations for the same employer were left in the army, same as some miners who weren’t recalled and had to stay in the army and had some choice words about mine owners and managers. Later under proper conscription men were called up by the ministry but Vickers had a veto on them, but occasionally for a malingerer or whatever reason they would let them go.

presta

Guru

Originally they undervalued miners and conscripted too many of them into the armed forces. Then in 1943 when they started running out of coal as a consequence, they had to conscript Bevin Boys to work down the mines.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Originally they undervalued miners and conscripted too many of them into the armed forces. Then in 1943 when they started running out of coal as a consequence, they had to conscript Bevin Boys to work down the mines.

Skilled miners used to hard manual labour could cut far more coal than your typical Bevin Boy so likely a misguided policy overall. I have read that the mixing of different classes had an impact on society with the posh or grammar school boys have a much better appreciation of and respect for working people. May have contributed to the 1946 election result

presta

Guru
Skilled miners used to hard manual labour could cut far more coal than your typical Bevin Boy so likely a misguided policy overall. I have read that the mixing of different classes had an impact on society with the posh or grammar school boys have a much better appreciation of and respect for working people. May have contributed to the 1946 election result

I think it was more about trying to put a mistake right than a planned policy, they didn't realise how much they needed the miners until after they'd sent them to the front.

Top Bottom