I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
In general I steer clear of large supermarkets and prefer to support my local green grocer etc but do rely on the big shops for a few bits. After work took today popped in to Morrisons for a couple of bits then Aldi for the other things with my half full bag. Waited to get to the front and noticed the cashier asking to bag checks. Got to me and she asked to look and let her. I said I thought it a bit off that assuming anyone with a bag might have nicked something and if this would be my last visit if it was now normal practice. It is apparently. It was all very polite but the assumption that you may have stolen with no valid reason for a search means they've lost a customer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's common now as loads of customers sneaking stuff in bags or under them. Signs of the times, and our Aldi is full of £30k plus cars

It's pretty common. Costco do it by default, I visited one last year and was confused why we were queuing to get out of the shop :laugh:

Lidl where I normally go has the option not give receipts when you use their app, not sure how they'd handle bag checks when you have no receipt?

Slick

Guru
Whilst I haven't experienced bag checks personally, I don't think I'd particularly mind especially after just last week listening to a lady in charge of the Co-op, who described some horrific examples of shoplifting in many areas where there has never been an issue before, and the continual failure of Police Scotland to even attend let alone do anything about. It seems there is a shoplifters charter right now and its rarely people struggling with the cost of living crisis as this lady described the products that were targeted like baby powder to be cut with drugs. This is serious organised crime she was describing and they need to protect their businesses as we all pay in the end.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Primark in Hamtun makes you scan your receipt to open the barrier to allow you to leave the shop.

But, yes, I don't like the fact that I'm a suspect every time I leave a shop but, sadly, too many people walk out without paying..

It just seems wrong that the assumption is every customer is a possible thief.

I personally wouldn't mind, as it's a way of keeping my costs down, as shoplifting takes a lot of money from the stores, which we ultimately pay for. I also wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the worker who won't be on a good wage for what's liable to be a thankless task.

I would question the legality of it though, given at that point they are your personal property and the transaction is complete. Even the Police can't search you without reasonable grounds for suspicion.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's getting quite common. I refuse to use those self service checkouts anyway, so never have to face them...yet.

It's not as if shoplifters will be daft enough to show their stolen booty. All it does is inconvenience law abiding shoppers while doing little to prevent shoplifters filling their pockets, handbags, etc.

johnnyb47

Guru
The girl assistant in Aldi was watching me like a hawk this afternoon.I was just getting some bits and pieces and I had my own carrier bag that already had some work stuff in it.I deliberately opened the bag wide open in front of her so she could see what was in it before I put my shopping in.
Once home I then discovered an aggressive letter from EDF claiming I hadn't payed my bill..I paid the dam bill 2 weeks ago which was well in time of the due date.This is the second letter now and it's the second time I've called them to tell them it's been paid weeks ago.Each time they say yes it's all paid and the letters have crossed.I must admit I got a bit shirty with them and told them to catch up and stop hassling me as it was causing me anxiety (it not but it does wind me up)
Business seem to have become very aggressive lately even towards the innocent.

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
I personally wouldn't mind, as it's a way of keeping my costs down, as shoplifting takes a lot of money from the stores, which we ultimately pay for. I also wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the worker who won't be on a good wage for what's liable to be a thankless task.

I would question the legality of it though, given at that point they are your personal property and the transaction is complete. Even the Police can't search you without reasonable grounds for suspicion.

You could always refuse their request to search your bag. I assume the most they could do is refuse to serve you.

Top Bottom