I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I used one for over a year. It had it's own bag.
You've not forgotten already!

This sort of half-face.
JSP-Force-8-800-Half-Mask-Respirator-P3-Filters-Image.jpeg

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Primark in Hamtun makes you scan your receipt to open the barrier to allow you to leave the shop.
People often browse clothes shops without buying anything.
This policy could be time consuming for a clothes retailer, as an actual person would have to man the barrier full time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As @fossyant says, sadly a sign of the times :sad:

It's interesting to witness the diversity of dracionism across the gamut of Sainsburys stores I visit in varying parts of the world; ranging from "scan your receipt to leave, otherwise it's off to the gulag" to "please, crack on to your chelsea tractor with impunity"..

I think in these times it's important to remember that supermarkets, just like any other retailer need to protect themselves against the growing levels of theft that are inevitable as the cost of living crisis deepens.

As usual those who can least afford it are hit hardest, and it pays to remember that these are often society's least-fortunate, educated or astute.

As such the bar is set relatively low and one's sense of affrontary can easily be appeased by remembering that fortune favours the brave; and that one can beat the increasingly harsh demands of the system by employing creative and lateral thinking.

For example one might choose to beat the system by claiming at the self-sevice checkouts that your 1.5kg of Granny Smiths apples are actually a much-lower-value root vegetable, or by creatively secreting 1.5 litres of own-brand gin in one's lower colon and nonchalently John-Wayning it out of the store with impunity 👍

desperate times call for desperate measures - stay safe out there people!

classic33

Leg End Member
It's easy claim it's only a recent thing, it isn't. It's a side effect of what the big name stores have been doing these last few years. What was once seen as an easier way of getting you out of their stores, has come back to bite them. They cut staff numbers and what the remaining staff were allowed to do, yet they still want you to use the cheaper, for them, methods but accept the fact that they don't trust you.

After all, with Wafter's post in mind, where exactly are you going to hide an American style fridge freezer as you remove it from the shop?
You borrow the store trolley and wheel it out to your waiting van. Before returning the store trolley.

Jameshow

Veteran
I was travelling to see my dad a little while after He'd had a stroke, I brought a few nice things for mum from Waitrose / m+s services shop and bagged them but somehow didn't pay for them only to accosted by the store person, I went back paid and apologised! Ops!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Many years ago I was in Sainsbury's car park unpacking my trolley into my car and I found a bottle of beer in the trolley that I hadn't put on the belt, and had thus stolen.

I resolutely marched back in, bottle in hand, went to customer services, confessed my crime, and demanded to pay. They very nicely told me to piss off.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, they cannot insist that they look in your personal bags without your consent. But they can refuse to serve you if you do not allow them.

Way back in the 80's I was Store Manager for a well known supermarket chain, big stores - 30-40 checkout lanes. Fun job that I absolutely loved but shoplifting was the bain of my life. Less security technology back then made it much harder to control - at times I had 4 security guards and 3 store detectives on the case at any one time plus a camera monitor assistant. Caught lots of thieves, some were very creative, but even back then the Police were not really interested.

Aldi etc have my sympathies.

But, on a personal note, Mrs SD and I were in a large-ish outdoor shop last Thursday in Ambleside buying some new waterproof jackets. It was awful the way the staff were keeping an eye on us, and other customers, complete overkill and tbh we went elsewhere as we were so hacked off with their lack of discretion - cost them over £400 of lost sales. All their clothing had security tags on so no idea what their problem was tbh.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Aldi store in Todmorden has just introduced self-checkouts, which I am pleased about because otherwise there is usually a few minutes to wait in a queue to be served. One member of staff is on duty to watch what is happening and to help if there is a problem, which there ALWAYS is with me...

I carry my shopping home in a rucksack or pannier, both of which apparently weigh too much when placed empty on the loading side of the checkout station. (It registers as an item of shopping probably being in the bag.) I have to get the staff member to clear the error. Until today they have done it without looking in the bag, but today the staff member DID look inside to check that I wasn't trying to sneak something through.

I wasn't offended, but it did give me a slightly bad feeling.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Aldi store in Todmorden has just introduced self-checkouts, which I am pleased about because otherwise there is usually a few minutes to wait in a queue to be served. One member of staff is on duty to watch what is happening and to help if there is a problem, which there ALWAYS is with me...

I carry my shopping home in a rucksack or pannier, both of which apparently weigh too much when placed empty on the loading side of the checkout station. (It registers as an item of shopping probably being in the bag.) I have to get the staff member to clear the error. Until today they have done it without looking in the bag, but today the staff member DID look inside to check that I wasn't trying to sneak something through.

I wasn't offended, but it did give me a slightly bad feeling.
That's what the "Using own bag(s)" option is supposed to be set to allow for.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's what I thought, but both the rucksack and pannier still trigger the alarm even when using it! Maybe there is a threshold adjustment which has been set a bit low?
The heavier bags used by Tesco and Sainsburys are prone to setting the alarm off as they are too heavy. I think they expect you to use nothing but plastic bags these days.

ColinJ

The heavier bags used by Tesco and Sainsburys are prone to setting the alarm off as they are too heavy. I think they expect you to use nothing but plastic bags these days.
I was thinking that they should be expecting shoppers to use heavier 'green' bags now and NOT the skimpy old plastic bags.

What does the checkout machine expect if you do NOT select the 'own bag' option? :wacko:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I was thinking that they should be expecting shoppers to use heavier 'green' bags now and NOT the skimpy old plastic bags.

What does the checkout machine expect if you do NOT select the 'own bag' option? :wacko:
I’ve never had any joy with the ‘own bag’ option in any store. I’ve always selected ‘no bag’, and packed my shopping after I’ve paid - or used a lane staffed by an actual human.

ColinJ

I’ve never had any joy with the ‘own bag’ option in any store. I’ve always selected ‘no bag’, and packed my shopping after I’ve paid - or used a lane staffed by an actual human.
Ah - I hadn't thought of putting the shopping on the other side and packing afterwards - that would work! One extra step though, and a bit irritating to have to do it.

Top Bottom