I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the called the police would you wait for them to arrive?

I'd like to see that happen. But yes, happy to on the understanding that I'd invoice them for my waiting time.

Drago

Legendary Member
Meanwhile the shoplifters are still stuffing their pockets, hiding packs of meat down their trousers, or simply doing a good old-fashioned trolley dash.

Inconvenience the law abiding while doing little to address the actual problem that started it all off in the first place - that's the British way.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It just seems wrong that the assumption is every customer is a possible thief.

It may seem wrong. But by experience I can tell that you cannot spot a thief, just by looking at them . When you think a block of cheese can cost what a good night out used to be . I can see why they check. I would have no problem with it. If everyone is checking. Where will you go?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A lot of these random checks are due to customers forgetting to scan stuff on the self service check outs so if the shops did away with self service checkouts and had proper manned tills then there would be no need for these checks

we're reminded on a daily basis to check under customers' bags in the trolleys, and under the trolley itself when on a manned till... most customers don't forget to put everything on the conveyer, they decide not to.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Meanwhile the shoplifters are still stuffing their pockets, hiding packs of meat down their trousers, or simply doing a good old-fashioned trolley dash.

Inconvenience the law abiding while doing little to address the actual problem that started it all off in the first place - that's the British way.

I'm wondering what this is?

Tenkaykev

Guru
I like the Waitrose self checkouts, no need to use the " bagging area "
. I know there's always an employee in the area to okay the drink / medicine/ sharp items, and I'm sure they're also keeping a watchful eye, but I find it a far more relaxing experience that the other stores.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In my Aldi store alone we're seeing well over £100,000 in losses each year. 99% of that is theft.

And yes, you can politely refuse the bag search.

That's extremely high.

About 0.7% of a typical Aldi store turnover?

Last store I was manager of in the mid-80's, huge thing when compared to a typical Aldi, ran at about 0.3%.

At 0.7% I would've been worrying about promotion prospects at best and job at worst.

Top Bottom