I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We got some clothing items in a store in Stirling and paid then left. At the exit door the alarms went off so we just stopped and waited a few minutes. Security appeared promptly, was given the items from our bag, took off the security tags and told us everything was fine. The fact that we stopped and did not make a run for it clearly indicated innocence as he did not even ask to see receipts.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
1695747825210.png

In general I steer clear of large supermarkets and prefer to support my local green grocer etc but do rely on the big shops for a few bits. After work took today popped in to Morrisons for a couple of bits then Aldi for the other things with my half full bag. Waited to get to the front and noticed the cashier asking to bag checks. Got to me and she asked to look and let her. I said I thought it a bit off that assuming anyone with a bag might have nicked something and if this would be my last visit if it was now normal practice. It is apparently. It was all very polite but the assumption that you may have stolen with no valid reason for a search means they've lost a customer.

imagine how offended a thief would be!

I have a 2nd job at a retail store. we have very strict rules about approaching "customers" about what they are removing from the store. some of the protocol is a little funny. for example:

excuse me sir, I see that the cashier neglected to ring up that item. would you like to pay for that now?

then the video shows an angry thief making sounds & gestures & tries to leave w/o paying

then the narrator says, just let them leave, just let them leave & DO NOT FOLLOW THEM into the parking lot!

not long ago one of our Associates was shot to death at a similar encounter. actually i think it was a group that filled carriages & ran out the door. the Associate's 1st gut instinct was to try to stop them. unfortunately the thief's gut reaction was to shoot them

at the self serve checkout at Walmart you can decline a printed receipt. so ... I guess they figured out what was more important, stolen items or employees continued health

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
In general I steer clear of large supermarkets and prefer to support my local green grocer etc but do rely on the big shops for a few bits. After work took today popped in to Morrisons for a couple of bits then Aldi for the other things with my half full bag. Waited to get to the front and noticed the cashier asking to bag checks. Got to me and she asked to look and let her. I said I thought it a bit off that assuming anyone with a bag might have nicked something and if this would be my last visit if it was now normal practice. It is apparently. It was all very polite but the assumption that you may have stolen with no valid reason for a search means they've lost a customer.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it might be because going off your username, you are a hippy type. 🧐 Now if you wore fine tweeds, highly polished shoes and a fedora with matching feather in the headband like I do, I find security staff are always pleasant, with one in my local Tesco often offering to carry my bag to my car!🧐 One security staff member even offers to park my car correctly for me, as I seem to find getting it right is getting more and more difficult these days!! :unsure:

nc_ohc=K0Ry0Wq0vyUAX8pgrML&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I heard off a staff member in the local Tesco that one chap was apprehended the other day for attempting to walk out with a tin of their 'budget buy' Stockleys beans, worth about 25 pence. Now if you're going to nick, nick big, not a tin of beans I say!!🧐 Thinking about it, he could've gone for the 'top of the range' Crosse & Blackwell or similar!!🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
We’ve had several things delivered still with their big plastic security fobs on. Gives me some practice finding the best way to break them off I guess....
On bottles, check the cable. There'll be a helically wound wire, simply twist* the cable to release it.

*Will require a pair of pliers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Library books for a long time used to set off the security alarms in Wilkos.
Bradford Library books used to set off the door alarms in Curry's and Staple's.
Used to end up going to the library after the stores, or avoiding altogether.

I had a problem with door alarms, following surgery on the knee. I'd four metal rods running down the best part of one leg. The rods stopped the knee moving, but also seemed to generate just enough static to set the alarm off.
New manager at the soon to close Wilkinson's wanted security to search me on the spot. To try and ease her mind I put the leg only through the alarm, and off it went. The alarm, not the leg. She remained unconvinced because I was "walking funny". Again she demanded that security stop and search me, there in front of her. Security meanwhile was bent double on the nearest checkout, in tears of laughter.
He knew what was causing the problem, as he'd stopped me more than once.
The manager was still suspicious, but short of dropping the trousers, there was no way of showing, in full, what was actually on the leg.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist I resemble @raleighnut going by his description previously but what someone looks like should in no way determine how someone is treated. I get your jest of course but many people do genuinely get treated if they don't fit a social 'standard' sadly.

I understand what you are saying, but may I ask. Do you use patchouli oil? 🤔 Now I use Floris No 89 which is the preferred fine fragrance of King Charles the Third and I must say, this particular fragrance commands respect, not encourages suspicion!!🧐

:whistle: ;)

Slick

Guru
Bradford Library books used to set off the door alarms in Curry's and Staple's.
Used to end up going to the library after the stores, or avoiding altogether.

I had a problem with door alarms, following surgery on the knee. I'd four metal rods running down the best part of one leg. The rods stopped the knee moving, but also seemed to generate just enough static to set the alarm off.
New manager at the soon to close Wilkinson's wanted security to search me on the spot. To try and ease her mind I put the leg only through the alarm, and off it went. The alarm, not the leg. She remained unconvinced because I was "walking funny". Again she demanded that security stop and search me, there in front of her. Security meanwhile was bent double on the nearest checkout, in tears of laughter.
He knew what was causing the problem, as he'd stopped me more than once.
The manager was still suspicious, but short of dropping the trousers, there was no way of showing, in full, what was actually on the leg.

I had a similar experience at City Airport with their new scanner. Quite embarrassing at one point. :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but it might be because going off your username, you are a hippy type. 🧐 Now if you wore fine tweeds, highly polished shoes and a fedora with matching feather in the headband like I do, I find security staff are always pleasant, with one in my local Tesco often offering to carry my bag to my car!🧐 One security staff member even offers to park my car correctly for me, as I seem to find getting it right is getting more and more difficult these days!! :unsure:

View attachment 707901
Don't judge by what you can't be certain about. I once caught a solicitor, with an adapted long coat, trying to get something without paying for it.
His long coat had extra "pockets" sown onto the inside. Close on £300* of items in the pockets. I watched as he pulled each item out and leaving them on the display. Then tamping down the empty coat on the display to prove there was nothing else in it.

*Over £300 being the limit at which the police would get involved. No point calling them, and he knew it.

Top Bottom