I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
In general I steer clear of large supermarkets and prefer to support my local green grocer etc but do rely on the big shops for a few bits. After work took today popped in to Morrisons for a couple of bits then Aldi for the other things with my half full bag. Waited to get to the front and noticed the cashier asking to bag checks. Got to me and she asked to look and let her. I said I thought it a bit off that assuming anyone with a bag might have nicked something and if this would be my last visit if it was now normal practice. It is apparently. It was all very polite but the assumption that you may have stolen with no valid reason for a search means they've lost a customer.

Common practice in France, especially Intermarche.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Shopkeepers being suspicious of shoppers is nothing new....

View: https://youtu.be/HVFtyGAYaEw?feature=shared&t=788

I have been followed around by security in shops a few times, when I've noticed them I've picked up something expensive and walked around with for a bit lol

I can go one further, many years ago I was drinking buddies with the guy who was the main security guard at Sainsbury's in Leicester, if he saw me in the shop on the cameras he'd blatantly follow me round peering around the end of aisles until he had quite an audience then walk up behind me and put his hand on my shoulder (remember I'm a long haired 'scruffy begger' with normally a Leather jacket on, think one of the Ramones)* you could almost feel the disappointment as I turned round and loudly said "Alright Pearce, you down the pub tonight" and we'd stand and have a natter for a few minutes.

I could never be a successful shoplifter (or any sort of criminal really) cos I'm too distinctive/easily identifiable.

* The shop was really close to my flat so not worth getting the bike out.

I value my privacy. I've only been stopped leaving a shop once and asked to turn out my pockets. I agreed at the time, but decided I'd never do it again.

These days if a member of staff asked to look in my bag, I would tell them no, and if they insisted, I'd walk off and leave my shopping. If they want to search me, they will have to get the police involved.

richardfm

Veteran
I value my privacy. I've only been stopped leaving a shop once and asked to turn out my pockets. I agreed at the time, but decided I'd never do it again.

These days if a member of staff asked to look in my bag, I would tell them no, and if they insisted, I'd walk off and leave my shopping. If they want to search me, they will have to get the police involved.

If the called the police would you wait for them to arrive?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I got asked if they could check my bag a few weeks ago in Sainsbury's. I politely said no thanks, showed them my receipt and left the store. They didn't say anything or try to stop me.

PapaZita

Guru
The first time I encountered anything like this was at the York Cycle Rally, probably about 15 years ago. Apparently cyclists don’t even trust other cyclists 😁. I forget who it was, but I think they were regulars there, with a big tent full of discount stuff. One person zip-tied the handles of our bags together on the way in, and someone else stood at the exit with a pair of snips to cut them off again. I was quite discouraged from becoming a customer.

Ah - I hadn't thought of putting the shopping on the other side and packing afterwards - that would work! One extra step though, and a bit irritating to have to do it.

Unfortunately this is what i'm now resigned to doing (and the staff confirmed it was the Least Worst Option), assuming I've taken a rucksack/pannier.

I only do it at the speedy checkout, so won't have tooooo much stuff. Not really a big problem.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I often forget to pick up a basket, or there are none left, so I put my shopping in my own bags. I have noticed a few staff/security keeping an eye on me. I don't mind at all, I would happily let them search it and go get me a basket! I also don't put my bags on the self check-out, as it often means a member of staff has to come and verify my bags. I place it all on the bagging area, then pay, then pack it into my bags.

The only time (8 years ago) I was followed by security, I had my motorcycle gear on and needed the loo pronto. I ran upstairs, realised the loos were downstairs, spent an age in the loo (was in such a rush that all my trousers/mc gear got tangled up) then came out and was followed by security. Presumably they thought I'd taken stuff and then gone to the loo to conceal my thefts. I was itching for them to ask to search me, so I could oblige and explain the story, but they didn't

Jody

Stubborn git
This type of practice grates on me but it's becoming more common across the board.

Sainsburys and Morrisons now have to scan a receipt to get through electric gates after self serve. Wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't reduced down to 2 checkout operatives to save money.

Morrisons and Tesco purposely put false weights on popular items so "help is coming" is actually to have a quick peak inside your bag.

I'm even getting followed by security quite often at our local Aldi

I just said no. Then kept walking. What are they going to do? Wrestle me to the floor and check everything against the receipt?

Top effort!

I'm in two minds next time to ask for a full refund and they can check all the items after i've poured them out of my bag.

postman

Legendary Member
The first time I encountered anything like this was at the York Cycle Rally, probably about 15 years ago. Apparently cyclists don’t even trust other cyclists 😁. I forget who it was, but I think they were regulars there, with a big tent full of discount stuff. One person zip-tied the handles of our bags together on the way in, and someone else stood at the exit with a pair of snips to cut them off again. I was quite discouraged from becoming a customer.
I remember that,it was the only time i ever went,it rained.

Top Bottom