I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As part owner of a shop selling all kinds of things, some very pocketable, my sympathy is with the shop.
We did not lose as much as some of the shops but after a bus party had all crowded in there were often empty spaces and nothing had been sold.
One case was very blatent when a distinctive hat and scarf set went missing. We later saw one member of a French bus party actually wearing the items but we could of course do nothing about it as there was no means of proving the offence.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a carry over effect from self scan and self checkouts. Items not scanned, but placed in the bag. Random bag checks in self scan areas were commonplace, and an accepted part of using them.

Now were all suspects.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A lot of these random checks are due to customers forgetting to scan stuff on the self service check outs so if the shops did away with self service checkouts and had proper manned tills then there would be no need for these checks

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
And Tesco are talking about giving their staff body cams because they get so much abuse from customers
Co-op staff have been issued them for a while now.
It's a carry over effect from self scan and self checkouts. Items not scanned, but placed in the bag. Random bag checks in self scan areas were commonplace, and an accepted part of using them.

Now were all suspects.
Years ago I was putting items in my carrier bag before check out (no self scan at the time), the Lidl security guard told me that was not allowed - well, he had a point, my bad for not picking up a basket.
Shop theft has always been an issue, your corner shop would confirm, but I think with the increased cost of living, more people find themselves with no choice but to shoplift for food.
It's a sad situation.

richardfm

Veteran
Don't like the fact but it is the reality.
Can we have an "agree" emoji, rather than the banal " like"?

These are the options on another forum that I am a member of
Screenshot_20230925-202526.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Co-op staff have been issued them for a while now.

Years ago I was putting items in my carrier bag before check out (no self scan at the time), the Lidl security guard told me that was not allowed - well, he had a point, my bad for not picking up a basket.
Shop theft has always been an issue, your corner shop would confirm, but I think with the increased cost of living, more people find themselves with no choice but to shoplift for food.
It's a sad situation.
I was using a headcam in 2011 at work. This due to the shoplifting that was rife then.

I'd a security guard, tesco express, accuse me of putting something that hadn't been paid for into a bag. The item in question, which he wanted to see, was the half face that was still being carried and put into their bag at the checkout.

Its the wording used that got me. They cannot state that you've taken something. That you might have something in your bag that hasn't been paid for, but not that you have.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Primark in Hamtun makes you scan your receipt to open the barrier to allow you to leave the shop.

That's not uncommon on the continent. Recently had to do it at a mini mart at a Brussels Midi railway station. Of course I couldn't find it, and then it wouldn't work, and exasperated Belgian lady opened the gate for me.

Big John

Guru
The wife and I were in an Aldi store in southern Spain about 15 years ago and when we got to the checkout we had our little backpack searched. We'd never had this happen before either in the UK or Spain so it came as a bit of a shock. We were told by the rep at the hotel it was pretty normal over there. Anyway, as we had nothing to hide we didn't mind too much about the search but if that appears to be the way we're going now then I guess we have to suck it up or buy online. Times are changing and it's not pleasant but I'm sure it's not pleasant for the staff either. Yet another thing we're going to have to get used to.

Top Bottom