I don't often get offended but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Don't judge by what you can't be certain about. I once caught a solicitor, with an adapted long coat, trying to get something without paying for it.
His long coat had extra "pockets" sown onto the inside. Close on £300* of items in the pockets. I watched as he pulled each item out and leaving them on the display. Then tamping down the empty coat on the display to prove there was nothing else in it.

*Over £300 being the limit at which the police would get involved. No point calling them, and he knew it.

Ah the classic poachers pockets, been a while but back in the day I knew a few boys with coats like that. :laugh:

Jameshow

Veteran
@Accy cyclist I resemble @raleighnut going by his description previously but what someone looks like should in no way determine how someone is treated. I get your jest of course but many people do genuinely get treated if they don't fit a social 'standard' sadly.

I gave a client who because he looks unkept is always getting hassle by security. Which only leads to increased paranoia and anxiety. He cannot help his lack of social graces. 😥😥

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I understand what you are saying, but may I ask. Do you use patchouli oil? 🤔 Now I use Floris No 89 which is the preferred fine fragrance of King Charles the Third and I must say, this particular fragrance commands respect, not encourages suspicion!!🧐

:whistle: ;)

I for one haven't used 'perfume' since I was about 19 so for over 40 years far preferring the aroma of 'Wrights Coal Tar Soap'

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Exactly Mr V.

It ain't going to stop, and these tactics do little to change that because a) they're targeting the law abiding ...

I'd disagree there. Can you spot a thief just by looking at them?

... and b) it ignores the methods and tactics that persistent and/or successful thieves employ.

Shoplifters tend to fill their bags (or jacket) with stock and walk out the store. Sometimes they'll pay for a few items.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Exactly Mr V.

It ain't going to stop, and these tactics do little to change that because a) they're targeting the law abiding, and b) it ignores the methods and tactics that persistent and/or successful thieves employ.

That would mean that the retailers are either stupid - doing things that are ineffective - or that they don't care about it all that much so they just go through the motions.

I kind of doubt that either is true. What they don't want to do is pay for security measures that cost more than the loss they prevent.

I don't have any suggestions what to do. But I imagine the retailers have given some thought to it, and weighed up the possibility of a few customers saying "I'm never going back there again!" (and probably going back there again anyway after they have calmed down).

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd disagree there. Can you spot a thief just by looking at the

I was a copper for 3 decades, so I am actually pretty good at it. All sorts of fairly reliable identifiers once you know that to look for.

And as you correctly point out, they aren't filling shopping bags, by and large, so the bag search tactic is only targeting the already law abiding for the most part.

The thieves are usually filling pockets or concealing items in clothing, or the bolder ones going for the trolley dash tactic. These bag searches and receipt inspections do nothing to address that, and serve only to inconvenience people who, in the main, aren't stealing anyway. Shoving stuff in bags is a tactic shoplifters, or at least successful ones, don't really use bag concealment anyway so bag searches aren't going to deter much crime.

It's akin to the police doing speed checks in a pedestrianised zone - targeting something that isn't really happening anyway.

A few harrumphs at my observation on this point, but no one yet producing a cogent argument as to why it is incorrect. The law abiding are inconvenienced, the thieves are carrying on using the other more successful methods to steal. Ultimately nothing changes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was a copper for 3 decades, so I am actually pretty good at it. All sorts of fairly reliable identifiers once you know that to look for.

And as you correctly point out, they aren't filling shopping bags, by and large, so the bag search tactic is only targeting the already law abiding for the most part.
cctv
The thieves are usually filling pockets or concealing items in clothing, or the bolder ones going for the trolley dash tactic. These bag searches and receipt inspections do nothing to address that, and serve only to inconvenience people who, in the main, aren't stealing anyway. Shoving stuff in bags is a tactic shoplifters, or at least successful ones, don't really use bag concealment anyway so bag searches aren't going to deter much crime.

It's akin to the police doing speed checks in a pedestrianised zone - targeting something that isn't really happening anyway.

A few harrumphs at my observation on this point, but no one yet producing a cogent argument as to why it is incorrect. The law abiding are inconvenienced, the thieves are carrying on using the other more successful methods to steal. Ultimately nothing changes.
I've known quite a few thieves in my time (I used to drink in some dodgy pubs) often being offered their loot at knock down prices but have never been tempted too buy anything but one thing I have noticed is the majority of them wouldn't get a 2nd glance, just nondescript people, Mr or Ms average that wouldn't arouse suspicion by any security guards so unless they're spotted on the CCTV actually concealing something the guards wouldn't know a thing.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Many years ago I was in Sainsbury's car park unpacking my trolley into my car and I found a bottle of beer in the trolley that I hadn't put on the belt, and had thus stolen.

I resolutely marched back in, bottle in hand, went to customer services, confessed my crime, and demanded to pay. They very nicely told me to piss off.

You are Richard Madeley AICMFP

Jody

Stubborn git
It does seem to be next level looting in the states.

Almost like watching the LA riots over again (if the media outlets are to be believed)

Top Bottom