Fit for Purpose - Sales of goods act

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
You might try a test ride on another bike of the same model - that should tell you if there is something amiss with your own bike, or if that model has BSO-grade brakes.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have been to several shops (it's a chain i bought it from) several times and when even showing the mechanic the issue, it has not been solved!
I've had the bike just under 6 months. And it's been in the shop no less than 7 times!

Just using an argument that may be used against you. As said, take the bike back to the shop where you bought it. Your contract lies with them, even if they have passed you onto other shops within the same chain.

Make it clear exactly what you want doing. Making certain that they fully understand what you want. Leave the bike with them for them to repair the problem, even if this means fitting new brakes to the bike. That it will be done at cost to them, not you. Agree a reasonable time frame for completion. No way round this bit I'm afraid.

If they disagree or are unable to fix the problem, then state clearly that you will be getting the problem fixed elsewhere with all the costs incurred being passed back to them.

Make your complaint to the store manager, making a note of his/her name telling them that you will be following up what you are doing, with a letter to their head office.

I'm glad I never had your problem. 30 miles before having to adjust the brakes. I'd have been doing it twice a day at one stage.

Jezston

Über Member
SEVEN TIMES?!?

Demand a replacement or full refund.

Damn, and to think I was considering getting a Day One or Croix De Fer. Who was the retailer? Evans? I've generally found their mechanics to be pretty useless - got my last bike from them and it hadn't been assembled properly and was squeaking. They couldn't work out the problem. Turns the rear wheel just wasn't on right. Seriously.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It was Evans, but from my experience their mechanics are ace. They very rarely are out of the workshop so you are gerrally speaking to a sales guy that rides a bike.
It's like asking someone at pc world about computers.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
An update. Evans have refunded me the full amount.
They will be sending the bike to Madison so they can inspect it. Genesis weren't interested even when Evans contacted them.

adds21

Rider of bikes
An update. Evans have refunded me the full amount.
They will be sending the bike to Madison so they can inspect it. Genesis weren't interested even when Evans contacted them.

Good on Evans.

Just out of interest (mainly because I've been considering Genesis for my next N+1), what do Madison have to do with it?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Good result. Shame about Genesis's attitude, though.

I've taken mine back to the LBS and they adjusted the brakes and so far, after 50 miles, so good but we'll see. The shop also tried to contact Madison (Madison owns several brands such as Ridgeback, Saracen , Genesis and Aztec) to get their opinion, but I've not heard anything back.

Genesis didn't even reply to my email of over a week ago, so I'll write again today just for the hell of it.

Jezston

Über Member
Well that's definitely me off ever getting or even recommending a Genesis bike. Was a big fan of the Day One and Croix De Fer until now.

ARE YOU READING THIS GENESIS?

Top Bottom