Fit for Purpose - Sales of goods act

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well anyway I had a shortlist of 2 bikes I was interested in, a croix de fer or a tricross and I settled on the tricross.(tricross sport disk) So I rang dealer to check if my size was available as it wasn't listed on website. I got talking to a nice fella who told me that he didn't have one and specialized didn't have one in the whole world,all sold out but he also said that even if he had one he wouldn't sell it to me as they were a bad bike because of rubbish spongy brakes. He said that they still hadn't managed to get disc brakes to work properly with dropped handlebars and hopefully next year there would be something better. So is this the case? dropped handlebars and disc brakes aren't a good match? I'll have to start my bike search again if this is true.

I've got the Tricross disc and in my opinion the bloke is speaking out of his rear end

boydj

Legendary Member
I've built a Croix de Fer this year with TRP HyRd discs - excellent brakes.

BSRU

A Human Being
Well anyway I had a shortlist of 2 bikes I was interested in, a croix de fer or a tricross and I settled on the tricross.(tricross sport disk) So I rang dealer to check if my size was available as it wasn't listed on website. I got talking to a nice fella who told me that he didn't have one and specialized didn't have one in the whole world,all sold out but he also said that even if he had one he wouldn't sell it to me as they were a bad bike because of rubbish spongy brakes. He said that they still hadn't managed to get disc brakes to work properly with dropped handlebars and hopefully next year there would be something better. So is this the case? dropped handlebars and disc brakes aren't a good match? I'll have to start my bike search again if this is true.
As stated already, complete bull crap.
My Croix de Fer has BB7's and they are excellent in all weathers.

Fust

Many thanks for this thread. Eight weeks ago both my Tektro Lyra’s failed on a steep 30 mph descent. Pulled front and it went ‘clunk’ and loose. Pulled back harder and it went ‘clunk’ and loose. Had to purposefully crash as accelerating every moment. Trip to hospital for head injuries, acute neck sprain, lacerations and chipped bones. 48 hours later I was still wondering what had happened. Did I just imagine it? Then I read this thread and felt a sickening feeling as if I’d met my murderer. However, a print out of this, and a few others from the internet and the shop has replaced everything, paid for satnav etc to be repaired and got a new bike (with Avid BB7s this time). And it saved me wondering what the hell went on.

I think the reason is now clear. You need to adjust the pads and NOT the cable length. The instructions I had said ‘pull cable until slack taken up’. The newer instructions the shop had were ‘do not have more than 20mm length of cable after the retaining screw on the brake cable’. You would want it around 3 o’clock position. If you pull the slack so the retainer is higher (i.e 12 o’clcok) it can fail. You pull the brake, the cable shortens and then it drops past a dead point under the line of the brake cable. Tektro obviously know this and hence the change of instructions. They’ve just never done a recall to fix it.

So, again, thanks for the thread and I hope, like me, no one else buys a Tektro brake system again. Someone is going to get killed by these.

Top Bottom