Fit for what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I went out for a walk in the snow across the Peak yesterday. First proper walk for about two years (since I came back to cycling). I was surprised at how much my legs were aching at the end. Clearly cycling develops only a subset of ones leg muscles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went out for a walk in the snow across the Peak yesterday. First proper walk for about two years (since I came back to cycling). I was surprised at how much my legs were aching at the end. Clearly cycling develops only a subset of ones leg muscles.
It is true.

I used to run to work and a friend used to cycle. I borrowed his bike once and my legs complained. He tried running but did not get far before his legs did!

moo

Godwin needed rehabilitation to learn to walk properly after completing the challenge. Granted, his 100,000 mile trip didn't leave much time for a gentle stroll.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Messes with your achilles and damages your knees too. The more you do of anything, the worse your body will be. Bet your cardio has gone through the roof though, as well as other health benefits :smile: Swings & roundabouts.

About 2 weeks into our rtw attempt we had a couple of days off in Cork for my oh's birthday and we realised very quickly exactly how hard it was to walk again after only cycling laden bikes and not doing any walking at all. After that we made sure that every evening we could we took at least a short walk to prevent this problem. It made all the difference later on when we wanted to explore places.

KneesUp

Guru
This is definitely true. I remember a school friend bought his first bike of another pupil - quite a nice road bike as I recall - and he asked me to cycle home with him as it was a main road and he'd not cycled much before on account of never having had a bike before. We were about 14, and he was miles quicker than me on the cross country course, played football for the school and all sorts but he struggled to keep up with what I thought was a fairly slow pace.

shadow master

Cycling makes you good at cycling,running makes you good at running,swimming makes you good at swimming,tennis makes you good at tennis,a cardio fitness level is required for all,but neural pathways and muscle memory play a huge part as does the skill for the sport.eg you as a younger fitter cyclist playing an experienced tennis player of 60 years old he will still beat you using skill.

Steady

Über Member
Walking in snow does require a different kind of walking though depending how deep it is, I find it is dramatically much more tiring on the legs than walking without snow on the ground.

ayceejay

Guru
Walking in snow does require a different kind of walking though depending how deep it is, I find it is dramatically much more tiring on the legs than walking without snow on the ground.
Otherwise known as stating the obvious.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've always cycled and walked, I think nothing of walking the 7 shortest route miles to work if the mood takes me and further for pleasure quite happily, so figured how hard could running be....

Wife dropped me off at work with the intention I'd run home to gauge a time I could manage, within 3/4 of a mile at a moderate pace I was struggling and by a couple of miles had realised that there was quite a different muscle set in play as I gave up and walked the rest of the way.

runner

Guru
I combine cycling with running. I do find it so difficult though to cycle home and then change into my running gear and do a quick 5 miler, its always rather odd to swap my stiff soled cycling shoes for the soft well cushioned running shoes. I tend to do more cycling though and as long as I can get a long run of 10 miles or so in on a Sunday morning and one other shorter distance in the week then I can still run half marathons! I think that by cycling I am saving the damaging effects that running must surely have on my joints....

Oldbloke

Guru
Mrs OB and I went tenpin bowling a few weeks ago, first time for 2 or 3 years.

Played 3 games, following day aching all over. Give me a metric century any day thanks:bicycle:

Top Bottom