Fitness/motivation question to oldies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I did suffer a prolonged period of depression some 20 years ago following a number of particularly bad family tragedies, and that was helped by taking a course of anti-depressants. I always felt lucky to have come off them with no withdrawal problems and would probably use them again, but only as a last resort once I have tried to resolve the problems without medication.

As far as the cycling goes I think it is going to be a case of gradual, rather than sudden improvement. I have joined the gym again today in the hope that it will help build up fitness.

tom73

Guru
Good for you that way it will get you out , meet people even it's just to hello and gets you fit. Once you get into a routine fitness will come. Remember it's the end that matters not how you get to it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the lack of ability to regain fitness like you used to is perfectly natural and should be accepted.
I'm a mere 60 and simply can't regain what i had after a 2 year layoff, part of it bugs me, part of me sees it as a relief, i don't have to go out and hammer myself..which is what i used to do to a degree, now its more about getting out and enjoying it.
But its still hard, life, motivation, health etc etc all get in the way, i feel i've tapered off again towards the end of this year and struggle to get out there although when i do, its a one hour ride maximum, that suits me now.

The depression side ?...years ago i had a long bout without taking any medication then eventually dragged my sorry carcass to the docs, got some citalopram....and within 2 weeks i felt enormously better and wondered why the hell i let it carry on for so long. I came off them asap and managed ok, it gave me the lift i needed and did what it needed to do. Other drugs may work for other people, citalopram did for me.

Have you considered an e bike Rusty ? its a revelation if the legs or joints are showing signs of tiredness etc, it brings back the joy of cycling while giving you a hand along the way.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sometimes you need the meds, not for picking you up, but to stop you from falling prey to the black dog.
Unfortunately as we get older, physical set backs, do seem to have a more lasting effect. So adaptation may be the key. As suggested upthread, a flat bar bike may help or an ebike. A new toy may also give you the filip you may need.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Same here, started cycling about 5 years ago and would go for miles and go out almost every day, now after a couple of operations and broken wrist I find my motivation lacking, I just go out when I feel like it and don't push myself to go as often. Just enjoy the rides when you do feel like it x winter has now set in so will do even less, but shall look forward to the sunnier days xx good luck

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Dogtrousers/gbb/bazzer: I have moved to my flat bar road bike and my mtb while my neck has been repairing but I still get neck pain/headaches, possibly from the jarring on the crappy road surfaces round here. I am also doing neck strengthening exercises several times a day. I have also arranged to see the surgeon next week who did my neck op, to have an X-ray and discuss the problems.

I might well go down the e-bikes route, if I still struggle next summer, or even in a few years time.

In the meantime I have some new toys to keep me interested through the winter, in the form of a Whyte 901 mtb I am building, and a project to renovate an old Harry Hall steel road bike.

If the riding position is causing headaches and neck pain, then I'd suggest the bike is not correctly adjusted for you. Maybe this is something to check first. The obvious one is seat height which I'm sure we all know. But the seat also adjusts backward and forward, sometimes the handle bars can be adjusted, and for me, even a subtle adjustment of brake lever angle can make the difference between an enjoyable ride or shoulder pain.

With the bike set up right, and cleaned and lubed, the next thing I'd look at is riding habit. For me it's about leisure. If it's a workout I won't stick with it. If it's enjoyable I will. The latter is better for your fitness for the simple reason that if you enjoy it you'll keep doing it.

And yes, people in their 70s and beyond can get fit. I know plenty of them.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
If the riding position is causing headaches and neck pain, then I'd suggest the bike is not correctly adjusted for you. Maybe this is something to check first. The obvious one is seat height which I'm sure we all know. But the seat also adjusts backward and forward, sometimes the handle bars can be adjusted, and for me, even a subtle adjustment of brake lever angle can make the difference between an enjoyable ride or shoulder pain.

With the bike set up right, and cleaned and lubed, the next thing I'd look at is riding habit. For me it's about leisure. If it's a workout I won't stick with it. If it's enjoyable I will. The latter is better for your fitness for the simple reason that if you enjoy it you'll keep doing it.

And yes, people in their 70s and beyond can get fit. I know plenty of them.

The bikes were set up perfectly for me up until the neck operation. The problem is 2-part: finding a comfortable position that I can hold for a long time, which I have experimented with, and the road jarring that goes up via the fork. It may be that, for a while at least, I will have to have the position more upright than I like, or am used to.

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
I am 63 and my average speed has remained constant over the last few years. After my cancer operation last January it took me several months to get back to something like where I was before. I found walking, which I did anyway was a useful alternative. Now nearly two years post operation I find it harder to do back to back long days and it takes longer to recover. I used to set a target of completing 10,000km per year, but it's more likely to be 8-9000 this year. I find setting a target of 160km per week is manageable and it gives me the motivation to get out when I am feeling tired. I vary the length of my rides between 40 and 60km. I have also done a few 100km rides this year.

I have never suffered from depression, so can't help with that. However, I find that my general mood is always better if I am outside, even if not cycling.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
What tyres and pressures are you running? Can you fit wider tyres at lower pressures to alleviate the road vibration? Many run tyre pressure near the max which is far too high for most.

I have tried riding my retro front suspension mtb. A lot better than the road bike for my problem so I think it will be my main choice for a while, along with the new mtb when I finish building it in the next week.

The bikes were set up perfectly for me up until the neck operation. The problem is 2-part: finding a comfortable position that I can hold for a long time, which I have experimented with, and the road jarring that goes up via the fork. It may be that, for a while at least, I will have to have the position more upright than I like, or am used to.
Do you wear a helmet?

The reason I ask this is because I realised that sometimes my helmet causes a stiff neck. It is comfortable enough and lightweight, but sometimes, depending on riding conditions, the front of it gets in my eye line thus forcing me to lift my head more rather than sort of looking up with my eyes if that makes sense.

If it's shock coming through the fork, I'm going to assume it's a road bike with rigid fork, which I know little about. I prefer a mountain bike because I like a mix of on and off road, but it means I have shock absorbing forks. I am vaguely aware that there used to be shock absorbing stems at one time. I don't know if that's still a thing or if they've been superseded by suspension forks? I believe there are also options involving gel based grips.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have tried riding my retro front suspension mtb. A lot better than the road bike for my problem so I think it will be my main choice for a while, along with the new mtb when I finish building it in the next week.

You may find a more modern hardtail or FS is more comfortable and upright. There has been big geometry changes in the last 4-5 years. My retro rigid MTB is very low front end, and much more uncomfortable even on smooth surfaces.

Top Bottom