Fitness/motivation question to oldies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
You may find a more modern hardtail or FS is more comfortable and upright. There has been big geometry changes in the last 4-5 years. My retro rigid MTB is very low front end, and much more uncomfortable even on smooth surfaces.

I know what you mean. My retro mtb has a Pace suspension fork that, even though it cost more than £200 22 years ago, is not as good as modern stuff.

My new build is a modern Whyte 903 and has a Reba fork so I hope for a big improvement.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know what you mean. My retro mtb has a Pace suspension fork that, even though it cost more than £200 22 years ago, is not as good as modern stuff.

My new build is a modern Whyte 903 and has a Reba fork so I hope for a big improvement.

You will. New suspension is quite plush these days. Don't forget the 30% sag. The geometry has changed to allow better descending frqom what I can see. My FS just charges over stuff. PS a dropper seat post is a good idea, even if just to help swing your weary legs over the bike.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
After a month of regular gym attendance I have found that my fitness /motivation has definitely improved compared to a few months ago, and am not feeling so down. The headaches are still there and I have an MRI scan in the New Year to check on things after the op.

I go to the gym every other day and use the cross-trainer, weight machines and running machine and it is starting to make a difference (no stationary bikes as I find those mind-numbingly boring).

The weather has limited my cycling but I have got out a few times, once on the road bike, and my stamina on hills is improving.

I am not a winter person and think this routine will get me through the winter OK and make me fitter and more enthusiastic for the cycling.

on the limitations. yes i think there is a time you have to accept you will not be able to cycle as far / often / fast
i've had injuries and a lot of what i do is trying to stop them coming back! if i feel a niggle i'll cut my cycle short rather than pushing on through it
if i cycle one day i'll maybe just go for a walk the next to rest the legs.
i want to be injury free for as long as possible and still be riding at your age , which is great :thumbsup:

Sharky

Guru
Do you wear a helmet?

The reason I ask this is because I realised that sometimes my helmet causes a stiff neck. It is comfortable enough and lightweight, but sometimes, depending on riding conditions, the front of it gets in my eye line thus forcing me to lift my head more rather than sort of looking up with my eyes if that makes sense.

Wearing glasses can also cause a strain on the neck if you have to keep lifting your head.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wearing a cycling cap under my helmet gave me a stiff neck because I had to raise my head by a couple of degrees extra to see under the peak. Wearing glasses shouldn't do that though.

Top Bottom