Fitness/motivation question to oldies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a 71 year old who returned to cycling after a 35 year gap eight years ago, prior to retiring.

I am nothing special as a cyclist but for the first six or seven years I was steadily getting stronger, riding around 60 miles a week and loving long, hilly rides.

The past few years I have had to have three lengthy layoffs, torn knee ligaments, a detached quadriceps tendon repair operation, and a cervical fusion and discectomy seven months ago.

I believe I have had a noticeable drop in strength/stamina the past year or so and after the last lay-off I am finding it more difficult to get back the motivation to ride, with headaches most days and also finding the riding position quite painful on the neck. My doctor believes I am suffering from depression and has suggested a course of anti-depressants but I do not want to go down that route.

I am going to persevere, as cycling is important to me, although I know this will be more difficult through the winter, which always reduces my riding, and hope that I will improve again come next spring.

I would like to know if any of the other oldies on this forum have had injury/motivational problems with their riding as they have got older. Does there come a time in life when you know further improvement is unlikely and accept your limitations?

CXRAndy

Guru
Try not to think about improving fitness, but rather enjoy just getting out and cycle. Have you thought about going on holiday, somewhere warm and cycling whilst there. Warm sunny weather improves everyone's mood.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep going. You don't want to be like my MIL who has been sat in a chair for at least the last 10 years getting slowly worse as she has never exercised, and won't even walk to the loo. She's 82 and literally sits in a chair all day, shuffles to the side to use the commode, then gets wheeled to her bed in the dining room. She won't even try walking to bed, or even the loo. She's also very heavy eating sugary stuff all day. Had a stroke many years ago, heart valve replaced and has AF as well as a gazillion tablets. She was like this younger than yourself.

I've got a fair few injuries, and the missus keeps telling me, 'you don't want to be like my mum'. Do your stretches too. PS get a turbo, go swimming, go for a good walk if the weather not nice enough.

That's the tactics my missus uses...

CXRAndy

Guru
Im not as old as some, but have had a few physical setbacks which ive overcome. I have never been fitter and my weight is in control with cycling. Keep going, find and do little things that give you pleasure. Buy a new bike or service yours with new parts.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Have you considered cyclocross?

The last time I did cyclocross was 1975. I think it might kill me now. One of the reasons I took up cycling was because of knee pain following years of running and other sports. (cycling gives me no knee problems, other than the falling off the bike :sad:)

I played for competitive sports teams for years and I think part of my motivation problem might be frustration at the realisation that my performance levels and rates of recovery are getting worse, when I used to bounce back before.

There is undoubtedly a lot of good advice in just going out and enjoying the ride, but it doesn't always come easy.

My aim, fossyant, is to ride until my 80s.

The Bystander

Über Member
My doctor believes I am suffering from depression and has suggested a course of anti-depressants but I do not want to go down that route.

Do you think you may be suffering from depression? If so, I'd be inclined to reconsider the anti-depressant route.

I resisted the medication option for years but eventually relented. It took two attempts to find a drug that I felt comfortable with and I stuck with it for slightly longer than I thought necessary. I wanted to stop as soon as I started to feel (slightly) better but with hindsight I understand why continuing the treatment was recommended. I also took time to slowly stop the medication (gradual reduction over a number of weeks) when it was time to do so.

I was reluctant to take anti-depressants but they did help me and as a side effect offered some pain relief too.

The past few years I have had to have three lengthy layoffs, torn knee ligaments, a detached quadriceps tendon repair operation, and a cervical fusion and discectomy seven months ago.

It took me more than a year to fully recover from my discectomy. Allow your body the time it needs. I eventually found a physiotherapist who helped and introduced me to some gentle Pilates exercises which have been life changing.

It's only now that I can see that I'd been banging my head against a wall by trying to improve my fitness before I'd addressed my depression and physical pain.

That's what worked for me, I wish you luck in finding a solution that has you enjoying your rides to 80 and beyond.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I don’t mean to patronise you by admitting that I am a youngster of 44. But I have been through/going through similar stuff to you. It’s a part of my life that I manage really well now that I have been upfront and I am honest about it. I have been through various tragedies which have caused ‘injury’. I am not alone, but I am in a minority that is bold enough to admit to and talk about it. Robin Williams syndrome. Cheerful on the surface, but I walk with the black dog sometimes ....You get the picture.

Anyway. I don’t get on with medication so avoided antidepressants. Similarly, I don’t need the burden of the extra ups and downs of alcohol, so I don’t drink at all anymore. I don’t earn much, but with the money I have saved I bought a smart trainer which got me through last winter. What a life changer. I eat properly, I am fit, I am no longer constantly tired and an old rugby injury (knee) rarely plays up. Life has been pretty good. Not perfect, but whose is?

There are characters on here who ‘have stuff going on’ and are very open about it. It’s a great community and I hope you find repair through cycling and the wise and funny advice on here. :hugs:

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The last time I did cyclocross was 1975. I think it might kill me now. One of the reasons I took up cycling was because of knee pain following years of running and other sports. (cycling gives me no knee problems, other than the falling off the bike :sad:)

I played for competitive sports teams for years and I think part of my motivation problem might be frustration at the realisation that my performance levels and rates of recovery are getting worse, when I used to bounce back before.

There is undoubtedly a lot of good advice in just going out and enjoying the ride, but it doesn't always come easy.

My aim, fossyant, is to ride until my 80s.
Good on ya.

I was born in 1975.

tom73

Guru
I'm no way near your age or have the physical problems you have but you sound to me going a lot more than most a lot younger than you. I share your lack of cycling at this time of year and that it's important to you. I've only been cycling since June but already it's become part of who I am and mentally i've improved a lot. I really struggle mentally this time of year as it is so having had to lay off the bike too is making it all the harder.

I don't have a turbo so use a mix of walking and the gym to keep going. I'd say like others have said find other things to do to help with your fitness. Build it up bit by bit and you will be back to how things use to be. It may take a bit longer but not impossible. So spend the time you'd be on the bike doing the other stuff. Do what I do don't look at it as instead of the bike but an investment in the next ride. See if you have any groups near you aimed at your age group fitness wise more fun in a group and get's you out when you may not feel like it.

Like @Heltor Chasca say's it's a good bunch on here so keep posting and help will come.

You are going to have off days just do want you can have a few goals and work towards them just don't get too hung up on them
Just don't give up and keep going you sound like your going great the body is great at adapting if you let it and work on it bit by bit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep at it. The MIL is basically knackered and has been living a slow death. You are the age of my parents and my dad still gets on a bike in the summer. Just don't make it a chore, pick the good days, do something else on bad days. There is no rush.

I aim to be MTB'ing till I die, provided I don't break too much. My 40-45's has seen me break more bones than the rest of my life. And its not brittle bones, just car interactions. Keeping a reasonable level of fitness helps with the cycling.

Katherine

Guru
Rusty Nails, I hope I'm still as keen as you to keep on cycling in my 70s.
Are you able to enjoy short rides without pain ? Then only very gradually start to increase the milage.
Can you find anyone to ride with you? Having company would really help to distract you from any discomfort.
The doctor should be helping you to manage the pain.
Have you asked for physio ? Or try a sports therapist or bike fit to help with finding a comfortable ride position .
I am going to persevere, as cycling is important to me, although I know this will be more difficult through the winter, which always reduces my riding, and hope that I will improve again come next spring.
What a great attitude!
Log your rides in the Your Ride Today thread - however short or slow - or in this thread and keep chatting even when it's not going well.
Good luck

PaulSB

Legendary Member
At 64 I'm glad to say I don't have any similar problems but have helped someone with depression and have another who manages the illness with medication.

Obviously I don't know if you have depression but this may help either way. An aspect of depression is one stops doing things one loves. Secondly exercise and fresh air can be a great help. The help I was able to give was simply listening and cycling with my friend. I used to extract a commitment to meet me at a certain place and time. My friend didn't let me down once in the 7-8 months we did this. I do know on other days my friend would stay in despite making other plans to get out. Things went in a new, positive direction for this person and our routine ended.

Can I suggest you make a similar committnent to a friend to push yourself to get out.

My other friend has accepted the need for medication and with the GP's help has the illness well under control.

I try to ride all winter but some days the weather is just too bad. Following a heart attack three years ago I couldn't cycle for nearly five months. During that time I walked at least 4 miles a day. Walking is easy, just throw on a coat, boots or shoes and get out of the door. I used to borrow a dog as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom