Lacking Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does you Contract of Employment with your employer actually state that - ? :whistle:
And under what specific terms - ? :whistle:
Also, what are your contracted hours - ? :whistle:

Yes it's part of the contract
37.5 hours a week plus 15 mins per shift unpaid for team brief aka 40 hour week
So far this month I'm at 18 hours overtime

CXRAndy

Guru
Not been out riding apart from commuting for a month :sad:
A combination of shoddy weather, lingering lurgy , work and family have been getting in the way so this morning the forecast was ok till dinner time so just as i stepped out the door a rain shower came over and i gave up before i even started .
Now im in a really bad mood and kicking myself.

You need an alternative to exercise or outdoor cycling.

Julia9054

Guru
I think I’ve ridden 3 times (apart from my commute) since coming back from the Alps in August due to my father’s turn for the worse and subsequent death at the beginning of September. A lot of sitting around and comfort eating. I managed to get a grip and hit the gym about a month ago so was feeling pleased with myself but this week was struck with covid which has managed to completely derail my progress. Could do with cheering up tbh.

Slick

Guru
I think I’ve ridden 3 times (apart from my commute) since coming back from the Alps in August due to my father’s turn for the worse and subsequent death at the beginning of September. A lot of sitting around and comfort eating. I managed to get a grip and hit the gym about a month ago so was feeling pleased with myself but this week was struck with covid which has managed to completely derail my progress. Could do with cheering up tbh.

Tough going.

Hopefully the new year will bring new focus for a few of us. :thumbsup:

simongt

Guru
Extra money is good, but remember work life balance
This is one of the reasons I jacked in hotel management after twenty years; my contracts inevitably had the usual blurb, but always finished off with words to the effect of '...and any other duty deemed necessary by senior management.' and as I was on a salary, not a wage, it was hours as required so my salary never altered regardless of the hours I had to put in; sometimes 80 - 90 a week. :dry:

Gunk

Guru
This is one of the reasons I jacked in hotel management after twenty years; my contracts inevitably had the usual blurb, but always finished off with words to the effect of '...and any other duty deemed necessary by senior management.' and as I was on a salary, not a wage, it was hours as required so my salary never altered regardless of the hours I had to put in; sometimes 80 - 90 a week. :dry:

Fortunately I am now at the end of my career, I turn 60 in a years time and I always planned to retire in 2025. Probably still do something 2-3 days a week but not full time any more.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Dear bicycles - I'm sorry, according to Strava I've not road since 26/11/23....
The first 'step' of a(ny) journey....
IMG_1496.jpeg

deuxfois

I love the definition of a career (by Michael Bentine, I think) as 'a headlong rush downhill'.
When you reach the bottom having gathered speed, carry on cruising more or less effortlessly into the sunset. I've been doing that for 30 years now and although i'm getting slower and creakier, it's still a lot of fun.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Motivation does not precede action - it follows it.

This is an extremely important principle.

Many people say that they would like to change their behaviours. (E.g., start exercising [on a bike] or a diet), but they are waiting the motivation before they make the change.

The flaw in this logic is that “waiting” for motivation is unlikely to be helpful.

Once you begin to change your behaviour, for example going out on your bike on a daily basis, your new behaviour will give you the motivation to continue.

That is to say, the more you get, the more you want...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well, after a couple of fails I did manage to get up early and get out on my bike yesterday. I set up my phone to play the Dickies "Banana Splits" very loud as an alarm, and left my phone on the other side of the room. That got me out of bed sharpish, staying up and getting out was a struggle but I'm glad I did it.

Remember, it's the winter solstice on Thursday. Days will start to get longer.

Top Bottom