Lacking Motivation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When cycling plans have to be put on hold due to weather or health reasons, always good to have a plan B . It’s easy too sit at home doing nothing and becoming increasingly despondent.

just done a half hour strength and stretch routine too , i have so many jobs to do haha ! TBH still got a bit of green snot so resting is probably the best thing to do but its really hard to resist trying

Gunk

Guru
I’ve had a very slow cycling year, need to sort it out for 2024

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a slow cycling year every year.

It's just that I haven't done as much slow cycling as usual this year ;)
Ditto! :whistle:

I am doing the '3+-rides-a-week' challenge so I have a good log of what rides I've done and how long they took. After 49 weeks of 2023 I have done only 3,406 km (2,117 miles) at an average speed of around 16 km/hr (10 miles/hr).

I'd like to get that up to at least 5,200 km (100+ km a week) and 20+ km/hr next year. We'll see. I just want to get my 3+ a week done for the rest of the year, and then make a fresh start and try harder next time.

tyred

Legendary Member
I was having a good year until September and had covered reasonable mileage and starting to get properly fit again. I also had a few very enjoyable tours.

Then I took a horrible cold, spent ages struggling with sinus issues and low energy. I still have a little lingering snot but more or less normal now. Then just as I was starting to feel better again and thinking about getting out and about again, I hurt my back and could barely get out of bed, never mind cycle. Much physio later, I have done some short rides of around 10 or 12 miles but can't work up any enthusiasm for it at the moment as the weather has only been so-so, and it's dark when I finish work.

I need to motivate myself again for the new year.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its hard to motivate myself to even ride to work this week , were facing a lot of overtime due to a breakdown on the other shift so im doing 11 hour days .Leave the house at 1.30 pm and not getting home till gone 2.30 am

simongt

Guru
were facing a lot of overtime due to a breakdown on the other shift so im doing 11 hour days .Leave the house at 1.30 pm and not getting home till gone 2.30 am
A double edged sword. The overtime is great, but unless your employer 'threatens' you, you need to make a reasonable balance between what you can physically / mentally comfortably manage and the attraction of the extra income. :whistle:

Slick

Guru
Overtime is mandatory as called for

Tell your gaffer its not like the 70's anymore. Obviously that's illegal.

postman

Legendary Member
I rode once this year.Otley just 25 miles.I had just started again after the enforced rest with the Hydrocele,the other problem was the prostate.When i got back,life took over.Catching up with home decorating one big bedroom one small bedroom and a shower room and the bathroom.Then our garden,then over to Lancashire plus the church building.The days i had off were usually rubbish.So opportunities just went.Not grumbling though,i do like helping.Then disaster struck the cancer,well one month ago i decided to bring in the weights from the garage.I found a seniors exercise plan off YouTube and off i went.Two twenty mins sessions mainly sitting down,then my own idea of leg building.The arms are not doing very good,but the legs are firming up nicely.plus i am enjoying it.Come good weather out will come the turbo on the lawn and off i will go.Then my first ride April May ish time.And it will be to Eccup Reservoir and into Headingley for a latte or two with cake.I have found an independent cafe,that supports the less fortunate,better than the more well known,and their chairs and sofas are so cumfy.I am looking forward to 2024 now i have had the great news this week.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Its hard to motivate myself to even ride to work this week , were facing a lot of overtime due to a breakdown on the other shift so im doing 11 hour days .Leave the house at 1.30 pm and not getting home till gone 2.30 am
Long hours plus the other stuff going on in your life takes its toll. On there own each can be hard to deal with, so try not to beat yourself up.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Only one short ride so far this month and not many days left for 2023. We are hoping to move house next month and I will have to build a new shed for my bikes when we do so I may be a late starter in 2024 but hoping to catch up later if the weather allows.

Top Bottom