Fitted lights & bike reflectors... How 'legal' are we all really?

Which option best describes your lighting/reflector choice on your 'most used' bike?

• Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • Reflectors fitted. No lights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja... No lights. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I always have two lights on the rear in case one stops working. I've never rally paid much attention to whether they're BS or not.

Davidc

Guru
That's no problem as long as they're not "Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road" but I think you have to be a bit careful with Hope Vision 1 as it seems like a powerful torch more than a headlamp.
Same as summerdays, and if angled down sensibly the forward intensity is only a bit more than the German spec dynamo light.

I think Hope designed the V1 as a road use bike light, but it isn't BS marked. Mine is usually aimed at the left verge out of town, so that I can see the pot holes and places where the LHS of the road has collapsed or eroded - all too common round here.

Karlt

Not quite sure how I compare legally, but PDA and Aldi rear 3-LED lights on the back for redundancy (the Aldi one has some striking flash patterns and the PDA one shines out to the sides as well as back), the rack bag has some red flashing LED running armbands that are also yellow reflective attached round it, and front has a cheap backup Aldi rubber LED "be seen by" jobby and a Lifeline 386 lumen front which is the main "actually see where I'm going" light. Pedals are completely illegal unreflectored SPDs.

Top Bottom