Fitting a cadence sensor to a QNT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyfisher

Looking for some help re fitting a Garmin cadence unit to my QNT. The manual says the magnet on the pedal should be no more than 5mm from the sensor, but the gap from the center tube to the pedal must be around 50mm.

Anyone fitted one of these of have any suggestion on how to bridge the gap, or am I going about this cadence thing all wrong.

Jim

CamPhil

Do you have any option to fit it to the inner chainring?
I'd expect that to be a bit closer to the boom and/or derailer post.
An alternative option, which looks likely to be workable on my Bacchetta Café, is a Minoura accessory mount on the derailer post (as low on the post as I could get it).
Mine is there primarily to give a forward mount for the headlight, but since it only just has room to fit between the outer chainring and the left crank, it is likely to be used for my cadence sensor as well (once I've got the right cranks on the bike).

It works fine...

What you need to do is:
1. Fit the sensor to the boom and measure the new gap. The sensor is in fact quite wide and the gap is not as big as it looks!

2. Measure the new gap and get a long magnet such as these

3. Superglue to the pedal axle inside the crank "hole"

4. Fine tune the sensor position, and fold the arm for the wheel sensor under the frame.

Sorted!

I am out later today so will take a couple of piccies of the setup on the Gekko or Catrike and post this evening

OP
OP
Flyfisher

Flyfisher

Thanks for the suggestions,

CamPhil - I have something similar fitted for lights etc, did not consider that option but will see if that would work
Cunobelin - never thought of using a longer magnet to bridge the gap, if above is not suitable, that might be the way to go. Mounting it onto the left crank looks like the best option, keeps it clear of chainrings and chain.

Maybe a combination of both would work.

Jim

Thanks for the suggestions,

CamPhil - I have something similar fitted for lights etc, did not consider that option but will see if that would work
Cunobelin - never thought of using a longer magnet to bridge the gap, if above is not suitable, that might be the way to go. Mounting it onto the left crank looks like the best option, keeps it clear of chainrings and chain.

Maybe a combination of both would work.

Jim
My apologies... didn't get a chance to do the photos due to family issues. WIll do tomorrow and post

ATTACH]
P2270020.jpg

P2270018.jpg

P2270016.jpg

P2270015.jpg

OP
OP
Flyfisher

Flyfisher

Cunobelin

Many thanks for the photos
All is now clear and I'll fit as shown, once I get a magnet. I'll only need to relocate my pump as that currently sits where the censor is mounted

Jim

Top Bottom