Fitting compression plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

When I was removing the head bolt it also unscrewed the compression plug which feel into the the middle of the forks. I can re-fit this plug but do not know where in the tun to fit, is there a correct height?

Globalti

Legendary Member
In engneering terms the best place is in the area inside the stem clamps, so that the stem resists any expansion of the steerer caused by the plug.

In practice the expansive effort is so tiny and a carbon tube so strong that this is irrelevant, though in any case your top cap bolt won't allow it to go anywhere else. Be sure to grease the metal bts of the plug lightly, you'd be surpsised at how much water gets down there.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I followed your advice and re-greased. thanks.
In engneering terms the best place is in the area inside the stem clamps, so that the stem resists any expansion of the steerer caused by the plug.

In practice the expansive effort is so tiny and a carbon tube so strong that this is irrelevant, though in any case your top cap bolt won't allow it to go anywhere else. Be sure to grease the metal bts of the plug lightly, you'd be surpsised at how much water gets down there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The plug (and the bolt and cap) is only there to allow you to adjust the preload on the headset bearings, once you've tightened up the stem you could ,in theory, remove it as it isn't doing anything other than filling up the hole.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Is this because the stem bolts are now taking the strain?

The plug (and the bolt and cap) is only there to allow you to adjust the preload on the headset bearings, once you've tightened up the stem you could ,in theory, remove it as it isn't doing anything other than filling up the hole.

Top Bottom