Fitting new chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all, just a quick question, I am doing some repair work to the daughters Apollo mtb and am putting on a new chain and also the gear cables need replacing. I have already removed the old gear cables and am replacing with new inners and outers but first of all I am fitting a new rear derailleur.
The only issue so far is can I fit the rear derailleur then put on the new chain, then do the cables after?
I was just a little concerned the cables might need to be done first to add some tension to the derailleur.
Many thanks,
John

You can fit the derailleur and chain first, no worries. Assuming it shifted ok and was set up ok (i.e. the previous chain length was correct) then use the old chain to determine the length of the replacement chain. Nothing should have changed geometry-wise and the limit screws should have the derailleurs sat over the smallest sprocket and smallest chainring, at which point the derailleur should be taking up all the slack and almost fully retracted. :smile:

OP
OP
J

John342

Ok cheers, the only issue is it’s a new derailleur as the daughter managed to shear hers in half. I dread to think how lol. Hence all this work.
Will that effect it at all?

gazza1286

The main concern would be that the derailleur hanger has been bent during this mishap. Is there any evidence of this? The hanger could be bent back or replaced. An alignment tool is a bonus here but they're not cheap. If shifting proves to be inconsistent across the cassette this could be the cause.

E3A3B04F-19C2-4345-81FF-367DE646B171.jpeg

Also worth remembering, is that if your new chain has a sticker on the pack, like this, it’s a directional chain, make sure it’s put on the right way round.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just remember to thread it through the front deraillier and rear one correctly , join the quick link then realize you have nt done it right.break the chain to redo it and break your chain tool.
Dont do it unlike some one i know :whistle:

yes, it does work

Top Bottom