Fitting new headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stumpy66

Veteran
image.jpeg
I've fitted this cane creek 40 headset to the kinesis dc37 fork and have around 3mm gap between the crown race and the bottom cups. It seems smooth but the gap should t be there'

It's on a new build I'm doing so won't b able to ride it for a while yet, I was thinking it might drop down after a few rides.

I used a piece of pvc pipe to fit the race, I turned the fork upside down and hit the pipe off of the ground but can't get it to go on any further.

Any suggestions?

Drago

Legendary Member
Rubber mallet, large ring spanner, whack whack bang smash, sorted.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
TBH I'd expect it to look similar to this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV868qnb7CQQx0EAalLnsEvxWc8-vVRhS-6g5DCG0tADUKGMau_A.jpg

But I generally work with steel forks so I really dunno.

simon.r

Person
They can be a real pita to get fully on. Grease (which you've obviously already done) and force. A block of wood resting on the race and hit with a mallet will sometimes work. I've read of people heating steel races before fitting them, but I'd be very reluctant to do that with a carbon fork.

I wish more companies would supply split races, like WTB used to. As a last resort I did once hacksaw a split in a crown race. It worked, but it was only on a cheap bike which was used for short shopping trips.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Scotch that last post...was your previous headset a cane creek one, as they seem to make rather thick crown races

Top Bottom