Fitting out a drying room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've been asked to compile a list of things needed to fit out a drying room at work - does anyone have any idea what kind of heaters etc would be suitable?

So far my list is:
Electric timer
Tubular airing cupboard/greenhouse heater (no idea what size)
Safety mesh for heater
Racks
Door lock

We'll also need to have a false ceiling installed but hopefully someone else will get the quote for that...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've no experience of this but would a dehumidifier be good depending on how damp it got?

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Will look into the dehumidifier - after the recent downpours it could get quite damp if all 20 regular commuters are trying to dry kit...
Hooks now on the list!

Shaun

Founder
What about mats to absorb drips from bikes/riders? (dark ones!!)

Towels - for a head/general body drying on arrival? (will it be a changing room too?)

Sink? (to "freshen up" the face and get rid of general road spray/muck)

Bin?

fimm

Veteran
Going on experience of drying rooms in huts/bunkhouses used for drying hillwalking kit, a dehumidifyer in addition to the heaters is mush better than just the heaters.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll second (or are we on to third by now?) the dehumidifier. I've stayed at far too many hostels where the clothes get lovely and warm, but are still wet because it's 100% humid in the drying room. Either there needs to be lots of air movement, or loads of dehumidifier capacity.

You should consider the floor, and what it'll be like if it gets wet. Bravo to your employer for considering this; it'd be a shame if it was promptly closed again due to someone slipping on a wet, shiny floor and getting hurt (it happens a lot, but still they wax the floors....).

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Thanks for all the suggestions! Have added a shoe rack to the list...
What about mats to absorb drips from bikes/riders? (dark ones!!)

Towels - for a head/general body drying on arrival? (will it be a changing room too?)

Sink? (to "freshen up" the face and get rid of general road spray/muck)

Bin?
We already have two shower cubicles and a (unisex xx() changing area, complete with some minging towels that never seem to get taken home for washing. A mat of some sort would be a good idea though as people do tend to trample mud in.
You should consider the floor, and what it'll be like if it gets wet. Bravo to your employer for considering this; it'd be a shame if it was promptly closed again due to someone slipping on a wet, shiny floor and getting hurt (it happens a lot, but still they wax the floors....).
The floor will probably not be changed, it's rough concrete...
Although we're lucky enough to have showers and changing facilities I've been trying to persuade them a drying room is a good idea for about 3 years, but have just stumbled a small room which is near the shower room and fits the bill. We can apply for a "sutainable travel" grant from the County Council to pay for 50% so that might just swing it.

Chris-H

Über Member
If only more employers were this considerate towards cycling employees the roads would'nt be as chaotic in rush hour etc,in these economicaly tricky times its refreshing to hear of an employer willing to even consider this :thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
tubular heaters for background heating and a convector/fan heater for daytime use for drying. definitley need a dehumidifier. drying rooms on site don't work without them. you may need to think about a lift pump for the condensate from it or somebody will be emptying the bucket on an hourly basis. wire rack lockers also help with airflow ond securing clothes.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Thanks all, will submit the list tomorrow. I'd probably end up being nominated as bucket-emptier so will asked about the pump! Think this is probably the last year we'll have any budget available for this kind of thing (I think some of it came from the Cycle to Work final payments) so am trying to make the most of it. Was still surprised when they asked me to get a quote though!

We have a purpose built drying room, which has all of the things mentioned above. Although its main use is not for cycling clothing! It certainly comes in handy on these winter days.
The main problem we have are people leaving kit in there once dry and taking up space.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
We have a purpose built drying room, which has all of the things mentioned above. Although its main use is not for cycling clothing! It certainly comes in handy on these winter days.
The main problem we have are people leaving kit in there once dry and taking up space.
This is an issue I have at work, people hang suits and shirts up in the drying area, even when there are perfectly good racks outside the changing rooms for such clothes. Not my problem if their suits get damp or smell but is my problem if my clothes don't dry. I have to pop in a twice a day (the room is in constant use) to check my clothes are in a good drying position.

Top Bottom