Fitting panniers to a Voodoo Bizango 29er Mens Mountain Bike - 16"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hollielouise

Hi all, does anyone know if I can fit a pannier to this MTB? From the pictures I can't see anywhere to attach to the back end of the frame. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
If there are no mounting points, you may be able to use p-clips. Get a bike shop to have a look

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As Vickster says. With the right thought you can fit panniers to most things. P clips are good, I did a mountain bike years ago with racks front and back. Determination and hammer can fix most things.

You can hack a pannier luggage rack onto almost any frame but the mounting may have too much flex and not enough strength for heavier loads.
The best option is probably a replacement seatpost clamp with built in rack threaded eyelets, and P clamps for the legs.

As the joke said " If I were going to Dublin, I wouldn't start from here."

If you need a new bike to accept a rack, only consider bikes with rack mounting eyelets on the frame.
Also get a design where the eyelets are level with the rack, not down low on the stays, to make the rack mounting triangulated.
An avoid frames with a rear disk brake in the traditional MTB location on chainstay.correction *seatstay* This interferes with rack leg mounting.

Modern touring and road style bikes often have the brake on the horizontal chainstay whuch does not interfere with rack mounts. Unfortunately many of these bikes lack rack mounts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hollielouise

Unfortunately due to the the shortage of bikes I can't view the bike in person before purchasing. This is also making it difficult for me to choose a rack, as I'm doing the cycle2work scheme, annoyingly, it has to be the correct price and I can't change it if its not correct, I would have to cancel the application and start again. I will be using the bike to travel to work but the main use will be to go off road with it, which is why I'm looking for a MTB.

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately due to the the shortage of bikes I can't view the bike in person before purchasing. This is also making it difficult for me to choose a rack, as I'm doing the cycle2work scheme, annoyingly, it has to be the correct price and I can't change it if its not correct, I would have to cancel the application and start again. I will be using the bike to travel to work but the main use will be to go off road with it, which is why I'm looking for a MTB.
Can't Halfords advise? You can always buy something else with the rack money and just pay 'cash' for the rack when you find one?

I'm no MTBer, but if you are planning the sort of gnarly off-road you need an MTB for, won't a rack be a problem snagging on stuff potentially? Maybe a beam rack exists for MTBs, which you can take off when not commuting/shopping?

OP
OP
H

hollielouise

Halfords online have said I can't fit a rack onto it but when I actually went into Halfords the guy I was talking to recommend this bike and I was specific in saying that I needed to have a rack on it occasionally. I think I will be going for the Cannondale Trail SE 4 Womens Mountain Bike 2021 - Hardtail MTB, however I've been told by Halfords I can't fit a rack onto this either but then Tredz online have said I can.

I will be taking the rack off when I take it out off road. I just needed the rack for if/when I commute to work each day. I usually cycle with a back pack and get too sweaty so want to avoid this.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Halfords are straight down the line and give are not all avid users of cycling in all its forms. You can put a rack on pretty much any bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Halfords online have said I can't fit a rack onto it but when I actually went into Halfords the guy I was talking to recommend this bike and I was specific in saying that I needed to have a rack on it occasionally. I think I will be going for the Cannondale Trail SE 4 Womens Mountain Bike 2021 - Hardtail MTB, however I've been told by Halfords I can't fit a rack onto this either but then Tredz online have said I can.

I will be taking the rack off when I take it out off road. I just needed the rack for if/when I commute to work each day. I usually cycle with a back pack and get too sweaty so want to avoid this.
I'd definitely get a beam rack in that case, much easier....assuming you won't be carrying heavy loads on your commute if you're using a back pack

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/91-Racks (scroll down to MTB beamracks)

For the quick release racks, the rack bags with inbuilt panniers are fantastic, more than big enough to take a D lock & cable, laptop, shoes, clothes, sandwich

eg https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/192-Rear-Rack-Bags/858-MTX-TRUNKBAG-EXP

There are plenty of racks that are designed to accommodate the now common disk brake
They have 1" spacers at the base with extra long bolts to clear the obstructive brake and push the rack and pannier bag 1" wider. That is a hack to to get around a problem which does not occur with chainstay mounted brakes.

Top Bottom