Fitting rear rack issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

Gettig ready for winter, bought a Topeak rear rack, but realised my GT Avalanche doesn't have fitting holes for the rack on the drop outs , it does have fixings at the top near the seat though.

What options I've read about? which is best? Any I've missed?

P clips...not to keen, as don't think will be very strong.

Buy a new rack that fixes to the axle?...I don't have a QR fitted, I use a secure skewer, so might have to buy anQR too? So expensive?

Is there any adapter I can buy...read somewhere GT do one but can't find it.

Buy a new bike, with mudguard and rack mounts...any excuse for a new Bike but if I can make this one work don't want to spend a load on a new bike.

Some bikes have the eyelet in an odd place or concealed. Send photo of the dropout area.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Sorry not a great pic.
image_zpsjoxlhtr6.jpe
[/URL]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

you can get eyelets that fit on your skewer, it just makes it a bit of a faff when removing the wheel
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/axiom-mudguard-axle-runners-set-of-4/

Are they not more suited to mudguards, the rack I have is suitable for 25kg, they don't looked like they would support that kind of weight, not to mention would the skewer support that weight?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
New bike :smile:

More seriously, my 75kg-capable rack is mounted on the axle, although that's a solid axle not QR. 25kg is not that much compared to the weight of the heaviest rider it probably already supports.

I'm sure someone must publish the load capacity of their skewers. Anyone seen one?

Top Bottom