Fitting rear rack issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yeah spotted those, think they are going to be the best option, was hoping to find the GT adaptor...can't see where the rack screws in the p clip though, guess they are cheap enough to get and see.

The eye at the bottom of the rack support leg fits on the bolt.

It doesn't matter in which order you make the assembly, that will be governed by what sits best on the bike.

Nip up the bolts and bingo - you have a fitted rack.

The installation will be probably be more sturdy than it looks, although the P clips will need to grip the frame firmly.

Not an ideal solution, but no doubt someone will be along in a minute to say they carried a baby elephant across Patagonia on a rack held on with P clips.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Are you sure there are no holes at the dropout? I have a 2015 Avalanche here and there seems to be an eye for rack mounting on the seat stays a couple of inches away from the axle. It is not ideally placed but is a threaded hole into the cast part of the dropouts.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you want to be pedantic about me using "skewer" for the whole contraption, would the actual skewer be taking the rack's weight either, if used properly?
Sorry wasn't trying to be pedantic the axle still takes all the weight, the skewer just provides the friction to stop the wheel coming out, there should be no weight as such on the skewer.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Are you sure there are no holes at the dropout? I have a 2015 Avalanche here and there seems to be an eye for rack mounting on the seat stays a couple of inches away from the axle. It is not ideally placed but is a threaded hole into the cast part of the dropouts.

Mine is a 2007 model. It does have the holes at the top ( I did say in the OP) it's the bottom ones that are missing.

Seems strange to include some but not others.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

So for anyone with the same issue, I ended up ordering these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-lm-1-mounting-set-for-forks-wo-eyelets/
I'll report back Incase it helps others.

Nearly bought a new bike, looked at the Bad boy but I prefer 26in wheels so dodged that one.

Anyone comment on which Topeak I need if using the above clips, I have already bought the disc ones but thinking I would be better with the none disc rack? (Can return the one I have)

D

Deleted member 26715

Looked at my bike today & it is the same, top holes are in the frame but no holes near the wheel Cube Accent

Goggs

Guru

Nearly bought a new bike, looked at the Bad boy but I prefer 26in wheels so dodged that one.

Anyone comment on which Topeak I need if using the above clips, I have already bought the disc ones but thinking I would be better with the none disc rack? (Can return the one I have)

It depends where your brake assembly is located. If it's behind the seatstay you'll most likely need the disc-specific rack. If the brake is in front of the seatstay you'll probably get away with the regular rack. On my Cube it's the latter so I bought the non-disc spcific rack & it fits perfectly. See below..

_DSC9384_zpsdxdyegtj.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The main difference with a disc specific rack is the legs are further apart.

The Tubus clips have mounting bolts on the outside, which will add a bit of width to the distance between the two legs of the fitted rack.

Probably makes sense to use a disc specific rack.

Goggs

Guru
The main difference with a disc specific rack is the legs are further apart.

The Tubus clips have mounting bolts on the outside, which will add a bit of width to the distance between the two legs of the fitted rack.

Probably makes sense to use a disc specific rack.

Not if it's not required.

Top Bottom