Fitting SKS mudguards to a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesxyz

xx(I know this has cropped up on numerous threads but anyway...

Just bought some SKS chromplastic mudguards to fit to my winter bike (Trek 1.5). I can't work out how to attach them to the frame at the seatstays & forks. The instructions say to screw them in but there's nowhere to do that as the holes have the allen bolts for the brake callipers (105s). I was going to attach them using the the caliper bolts but the bolts are too wide to go through the mudguard eyelets - the fork bolt is also recessed so I'm not sure it would be long enough anyway.

The only thing a can think of is to file the eyelets on the mudguards to make them wider so I can fit them behind the fork/ seatstay using the caliper bolts.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

jamesxyz said:
xx(I know this has cropped up on numerous threads but anyway...

Just bought some SKS chromplastic mudguards to fit to my winter bike (Trek 1.5). I can't work out how to attach them to the frame at the seatstays & forks. The instructions say to screw them in but there's nowhere to do that as the holes have the allen bolts for the brake callipers (105s). I was going to attach them using the the caliper bolts but the bolts are too wide to go through the mudguard eyelets - the fork bolt is also recessed so I'm not sure it would be long enough anyway.

The only thing a can think of is to file the eyelets on the mudguards to make them wider so I can fit them behind the fork/ seatstay using the caliper bolts.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

If the bike hasn't got tapped holes for mudguards at the bottom of the forks, then you need to ditch these mudguards and go for 'race blades'. My old giant OCR1 was like this and the clearances under the forks dictates that you can't fit regular mudguards on them.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
The little metal tabs where the 'guards attach at the seatstay bridge go over the brake calliper axle. This entails undoing the (recessed) bolt of the brake, sliding the brake axle out of the frame, then reassemble as follows:

Brake calliper // mudguard tab // seatstay bridge // brake nut.

For the front guard, you might be able to repeat the above procedure, but IME this pushes the 'guard down too much, thus preventing tyre clearance beneath the fork crown.
In such instances, you can replace the recessed brake nut with one of these. The mudguard is then attached to the brake nut with an appropriately threaded bolt.

Top Bottom