Fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Is it worth getting a proper bike fit? I mean, there are probably lots of people out there riding about quite happily and never had a proper bike fit. The reason I'm asking is now that I have bought (in the correct size!) a Bianchi which is a bike I've always wanted and I'm in the process of buying an adventure bike, is it worth getting a proper bike fit. Also, do the fit measurements apply universally to all bikes that a person may purchase in the future?

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it worth getting a proper bike fit? I mean, there are probably lots of people out there riding about quite happily and never had a proper bike fit. The reason I'm asking is now that I have bought (in the correct size!) a Bianchi which is a bike I've always wanted and I'm in the process of buying an adventure bike, is it worth getting a proper bike fit. Also, do the fit measurements apply universally to all bikes that a person may purchase in the future?
Are you comfortable on the bike
I have them personally due to joint issues (done by a qualified physio).
I wouldn't bother if I had no issues or could only access a bike shop fitter and not a qualified medic. I’ve had good success via physios but the £150 Retul fit I had previously wasn’t much cop.

The measurements won’t be the same for all bikes unless the geometry is (near) identical which is unlikely

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Are you comfortable on the bike
I have them personally due to joint issues (done by a qualified physio).
I wouldn't bother if I had no issues or could only access a bike shop fitter and not a qualified medic. I’ve had good success via physios but the £150 Retul fit I had previously wasn’t much cop.

The measurements won’t be the same for all bikes unless the geometry is (near) identical which is unlikely

I've only ridden my Bianchi once because of the weather and I felt ok on it. The bike shop (not the one where I bought the Bianchi) took off some of the seat post as it was too long. I think I need to lower lower the spacers and hopefully that should make things feel better.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've only ridden my Bianchi once because of the weather and I felt ok on it. The bike shop (not the one where I bought the Bianchi) took off some of the seat post as it was too long. I think I need to lower lower the spacers and hopefully that should make things feel better.
Sounds an easy sort. How long have you had the Bianchi?

CXRAndy

Guru
First go with height guide for bike frame sizes. This will put you in the ball park. The only problem that arises if you're on the borderline between frame sizes. Then its a case of actually sitting on each frame size to get the best feel. After that small adjustments like Seat height, forward aft position, tilt,. also handlebar height and stem length swap. Always make one adjustment only by just a few mm and try for a few rides before moving onto anything else.By taking small step adjustments you will find the near perfect position.

A bike fit will put you very near to perfect but small adjustments after may be required

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
And you’ve only ridden once?! Why?!

Sounds silly but the Bianchi is my good weather bike. The bike shop where I bought it from sort of put the fear of god into me by saying "try not to get the salt from the roads on this bike" Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that bikes are to be ridden and that if I leave the house and its dry and nice and then starts raining, that's what happens but my Bianchi is really for the nice weather. Maybe once the newness wears off...

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds silly but the Bianchi is my good weather bike. The bike shop where I bought it from sort of put the fear of god into me by saying "try not to get the salt from the roads on this bike" Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that bikes are to be ridden and that if I leave the house and its dry and nice and then starts raining, that's what happens but my Bianchi is really for the nice weather. Maybe once the newness wears off...
Put some mudguards on it. It hasn’t been icy enough for gritting for the last 4 months surely?

screenman

Legendary Member
Can I buy it off you when you decide to sell? I can see the tag line now.

Bianchi for sale. only ridden 12 times in 15 years :biggrin::biggrin:

Good weather in the UK? Let me know where. I'll move there. :smile:

We had a perfect day for cycling once, July 7th 1968 if I remember correctly.

Slick

Guru
Put some mudguards on it. It hasn’t been icy enough for gritting for the last 4 months surely?
If he is from his name sake, he will have been riding in salt every week this year. Minus 8 I think was the coolest so far but I've had to rinse my bike after every trip for weeks now.

Mrs M

Guru
I’ve never had a bike fit.
Just climbed aboard and felt if it’s right or not.
Once had my eye on a particular bike for a wee while, didn’t even need a test ride, just sat on it and knew it wasn’t for me :sad:
Then went to buy a road bike, thought I knew exactly what I DIDN’T want but took it for a spin to please the seller.
Just clicked and bought it on the spot, still riding almost 8 years on :smile:
Bike fit may help but I always just go with feeling and usually right. :bicycle:

Top Bottom