Five cyclists killed on Retirement Ride in Nevada

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

😔

SKY link

Mods: If in wrong place, please move.

Drago

Legendary Member
The New York Times reports it a bit differently, although the end result is the same (I'm a subscriber because its free of the dreadful political bias prevalent in the UK media). It would seem thwre was a head wind and as a result so e riders had fallen behind the support car and were on the shoulder when the truck hit the group from behind.

Awful.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

The New York Times reports it a bit differently, although the end result is the same (I'm a subscriber because its free of the dreadful political bias prevalent in the UK media).
Can you post that link, too?

A lot of US truck drivers work outrageous hrs on the road and stave off sleep with stimulants. Falling asleep at the wheel is a major cause of crashes. My parents witnessed a sleep induced truck crash on their Greyhound tour.

Drago

Legendary Member
A lot of US truck drivers work outrageous hrs on the road and stave off sleep with stimulants. Falling asleep at the wheel is a major cause of crashes. My parents witnessed a sleep induced truck crash on their Greyhound tour.
Indeed, their union regulated overtime rates are massive, which is further incentive to push on while unfit through tiredness.

12boy

Guru
I live in Wyoming, not too far from Nevada, and it's interesting to mne I learned about this here than from a US source. Truckers can be very scary. Passing one or worse yet, being passed by them when there are serious crosswinds and they are between the wind and you can be terrifying. When this occurs on ice or they are driving way too fast there is a definite pucker factor.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Here's a link that explains more detail.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...ers-injured-in-crash-involving-truck-2212306/

While it's not the case here, my reading has led me to believe that a lot of truck drivers are self medicating. Meth, apparently, is common.
My experience certainly, is that a cyclist is rarely anything more than a tiny blip on the radar of most truck drivers.
That link seems much more comprehensive than my original Sky link. It says that the driver was not 'impaired', presumably not drunk or drugged up, then?
Do American trucks have Tachographs to record drive/speed/rest etc?

That link seems much more comprehensive than my original Sky link. It says that the driver was not 'impaired', presumably not drunk or drugged up, then?
Do American trucks have Tachographs to record drive/speed/rest etc?
I'm assuming that US trucks do have similar record keeping to here.
However, the speed limit is 75mph on that road.
I've been following this story since this morning. It was very clear that the driver was co-operating and intoxicant free from all the reports I've read.
Unfortunately, it looks very like a fast moving truck/van came upon a slow moving convoy of cyclists-van-cyclists and totally misjudged the situation.
Initial reports suggested the group were on the hard shoulder, but later reports are suggesting they were taking the lane.

Having some experience of the roads (not on a bike in Nevada) I can easily understand how something like this can happen, unfortunately.

When I was cycling in the US I often was very thankful that I was alone. The anxiety of waiting for a partner after a bad stretch of close passes would be horrible.

Top Bottom