Five cyclists killed on Retirement Ride in Nevada

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John482

Not surprising I sweat every time a car comes up behind me. Just the risks you take, people give you a wide birth usually. If there's a bike trail I'll always use that rather than ride in traffic.

12boy

Guru
I don't hear all that well but I can hear big knobby tires and diesel engines from a mile away sometimes. I never ride with ear buds because my ears are almost as important as eyes in alerting me to danger. I feel safest on my Brompton, minivelo and a Xootr Swift folder because people find them funny or odd and notice them more. (Clown bikes)

Unfortunately it turns out not to be just a tragic accident.
The truck driver has been arrested on a DUI charge. Meth apparently.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime...r-after-crash-that-killed-5-cyclists-2221742/
IMO that's a very well written news article. Being in the UK I found it odd that they included police bodycam footage, but it does give enormous insight to the story.

Incidentally, I would say it is "a tragic accident" - one with a root cause of professional driver with meths habit.

Very sad :sad:

12boy

Guru
Meth is a real problem in this country.

IMO that's a very well written news article. Being in the UK I found it odd that they included police bodycam footage, but it does give enormous insight to the story.

Incidentally, I would say it is "a tragic accident" - one with a root cause of professional driver with meths habit.

Very sad :sad:

If drugs are involved it's an accident waiting to happen and a crime, not a "tragic accident".

Reactions: DRM
That's a distinction I hadn't anticipated; so if you're murdered tonight, that won't be tragic (as it's a crime)?

If I am murdered tonight it will be very tragic to me, and hopefully my family, but it won't be a tragic accident............and the police will be informed of your comments. :B)

We can argue about the definition of an accident till the cows come home, and really that is not important in this discussion, but imo an accident is something that happens by chance, and being under the influence of drugs or alcohol significantly increases the likelihood beyond the level of pure chance.

I'd say it just increased the chance. What does "pure chance" mean? Everything we do affects the odds - unless we do something WITH THE INTENTION that harm to another is more likely, any harm is an accident. You couldn't even say that it was inevitable someone would die - let alone these poor bu99ers. This is why murder and man-slaughter are different crimes (just as a for example).

That's the distinction to me; was it intended?

I'd say it just increased the chance. What does "pure chance" mean? Everything we do affects the odds - unless we do something WITH THE INTENTION that harm to another is more likely, any harm is an accident. You couldn't even say that it was inevitable someone would die - let alone these poor bu99ers. This is why murder and man-slaughter are different crimes (just as a for example).

That's the distinction to me; was it intended?

Distinction between what?

To me, if you take a deliberate step, such as taking drugs, that is known to impair judgement or concentration or timing, you are increasing the likelihood of an accident, or making it an "accident waiting to happen".

You do not have to have intent to be guilty of a crime, particularly as the driver of a heavy lump of metal.

Top Bottom