Fixed and mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Hello. I'm a convert and have been riding fixed on and off for a while, and commuting fixed over the past few weeks. However, with winter coming up I'd prefer to have a bike with full mudguards. This is because I cannot bear wet feet and a wet *rse. I also don't want my rather beautiful Pinarello Catena to be ravaged by the winter weather (and it doesn't have mudguard eyes anyway).

So, some recommendations please for a fixed wheel (perhaps flipflop hub) winter commuter that can take full mudguards. I will want drop bars, front and rear brakes with normal road bike brake levers. I'm not interested in putting one together myself from an old frame or anything like that. Budget would top out at £500, less would be better, although more would be possible for the right bike.

What would you reckon I should go and look at?

Thanks.

Dan_h

The Dawes Mono ( http://www.dawescycles.com/p-170-mono.aspx ) comes to mind immediately. The advertised price on the Dawes website is a little over budget but you should be able to get one for around £500 if you shop around a bit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Jamis Sputnik, as above, or stretch the budget and get a Kona Paddy Wagon are the obvious OTS choices given you somewhat precise requirements. Going with road racers or race blades, or indeed P clips if clearances allow, naturally opens up a wider choice.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A tip I was given on a recent ride was to buy the breakaway clips that SKS use for their front guards (about £1.50 at SJS) and fit them to the rear. This allows you to pop the guards and remove the wheel if needed.

Reactions: gaz
I ride fixed year round, and use RaceBlades, which come off easily for wheel removal, though it's not always necessary. I can see there might be an advantage to using full-length guards in terms of protection, but they are a lot more inconvenient.

Although the tip above may be a good one. I think I have some of those clips in the bottom of my toolbox.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I ride fixed year round, and use RaceBlades, which come off easily for wheel removal, though it's not always necessary. I can see there might be an advantage to using full-length guards in terms of protection, but they are a lot more inconvenient.

Although the tip above may be a good one. I think I have some of those clips in the bottom of my toolbox.
Ere Mr Clarion Sir! Do you use raceblades for convenience or because you ain't got clearance for full guards? Just askin' like guvnor

Convenience more than anything else. I used them on the tourer as well, which also had adequate clearance. The Ridgeback (essentially the same frame as the Genesis Flyer) has clearance for 700x30c CX tyres for snow, and i usually run 25s, so I could fit full guards in with that.

So why don't I? Well, I think with the tourer, it was the number of times they got bent or pushed out of alignment by leaning the bike against things, or getting on & off trains with inadequate storage. Just got bored of it, I think.

djb1971

Legendary Member
If you haven't got any Sks quick clips, I've found that old campag/shimano downtube lever bolts* with the little flat washers are great. They fasten and undo easily with having the folding wire thumb fastener. It makes it easy to remove the wheel for punctures!

*some younger members may not have a clue what the hell I'm on about

SS Retro

The Dawes Mono ( http://www.dawescycles.com/p-170-mono.aspx ) comes to mind immediately. The advertised price on the Dawes website is a little over budget but you should be able to get one for around £500 if you shop around a bit.
I just picked one up for £450 from Wheelies on-line (someone can't remember who had them for £360) but only in 48cm frame, nice relaxed 'Audax' geometry complete with full mudguards.
singlespeed005.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Pearson Touche
http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/29718/Pearson-Touché-Gunmetal-480mm/
Its a bit above your budget, but it will take full guards and a carrier.
I've had one for five years now, clocked up about 15000 miles on it, it gets used for commuting, general running around and winter Sunday rides/club rides, and its been excellent.
http://www.cyclechat.net/useralbums/daves-bikes.11/view
+1 on the secure clips, plus you can always keep the stays a bit long and give yourself room to pull the wheel out.

Top Bottom