Fixed and mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The SKS secuclips came fitted to my bike front and rear from the LBS - would have asked for them, but he had already done it. God send with fixed !

Reactions: gaz

Nofers

Regular
Try pannier racks as a rear mudguard, awesome

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I just have regular mudguards, bolted on and with mudflaps. For those rare punctures I unbolt the 'guards- sure it's a tiny bit of a pain in the arse but it's not much extra work. It's more a pain in the arse having to get the chain tension sorted and get the wheel straight-ish in the dropouts (I don't use tugs).

singlespeed005.jpg

These guards are way to short for example. By about a foot each.

l4dva

Guru
I'm a crud road race user on my langster (and they were on my carbon roadie before that too)

I've never used full guards that bolt on to the frames properly but with the invention of these crud roadrace guards I'm struggling to see how a full on (old fashioned) set would improve on them? I could be totally wrong though as I've never used them, I'm sure someone will correct me on this too. But from what I can see the roadraces cover all the same parts and keep the spray well away as you would expect. I'm very happy with them... Quick (Ish) to fit, easy on the eyes, fairly cheap and light weight, fits onto pretty much any road bike.... Happy days!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I'm a crud road race user on my langster (and they were on my carbon roadie before that too)

I've never used full guards that bolt on to the frames properly but with the invention of these crud roadrace guards I'm struggling to see how a full on (old fashioned) set would improve on them? I could be totally wrong though as I've never used them, I'm sure someone will correct me on this too. But from what I can see the roadraces cover all the same parts and keep the spray well away as you would expect. I'm very happy with them... Quick (Ish) to fit, easy on the eyes, fairly cheap and light weight, fits onto pretty much any road bike.... Happy days!
Unfortunately, they didn't fit on my GT5, they rubbed the rear tyre; annoying, as my bike isn't a full on roadie.

simon.r

Person
So, some recommendations please for a fixed wheel (perhaps flipflop hub) winter commuter that can take full mudguards. I will want drop bars, front and rear brakes with normal road bike brake levers. I'm not interested in putting one together myself from an old frame or anything like that. Budget would top out at £500, less would be better, although more would be possible for the right bike.

What would you reckon I should go and look at?

On One Pompino ticks all your boxes with the possible exception of brakes - cantis fitted. Bags of clearance for proper mudguards and biggish tyres as well if you want.

SS Retro

They do tend to flop about a bit over traditional guards, not sure if the clip on stays rattle or not?

Top Bottom