Fixed for fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

I am looking for a bike for fitness and rides around town.

I would be running front and rear brakes as I don't really care about street cred and I like having my knees in working order :P

I currently have a few bikes in mind, some geared some fixed gear.

I guess I have a few questions...

Does anyone use a fixed gear for fitness rides?
Are fixed gears really that fun to ride over a regular bike?
As I am pretty unfit, will I regret not getting a geared bike and end up walking up hills etc?
Which fixed gear would you recommend?

I like the look of the Charge Plug, I like that it's steel, but is it good quality steel? Would it be a nicer ride than a similar priced aluminum bike?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Fixed-gear will be fine for fitness.

The trick is to be on a bicycle. Which type you favour is more about choice and preference than efficiency as a fitness machine.

Chris Hoy got quite fit riding fixed-gear, as did Bilbo Wiggins and Mark Cavendish in their track days.

I'd take a spin on one first to see if you like it. They are tremendous fun, but they can take a little 'getting used to'.

I run front and rear brakes. I tried 'front only' and re-fitted the rear almost immediately. It was unpleasantly scary with only a front stopper. Some like it; I didn't.

One 'advantage' of fixed-gear is that you have to keep pedalling. You can't coast anywhere and even pedal down hills.

I'm told they improve 'souplesse' and pedalling efficiency and technique. I suspect they do.

If you want to go fixed, ask around what gearing people use in your neighbourhood or district.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

In all honesty I haven't seen 1 fixed gear rider in my area.

I've seen only a handful of people riding road bikes, the rest are on either Boardman hybrids or very cheap bikes.

What fixed gear do you ride?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Phixion why not just build your own from a nice old steel frame its more fun and you will learn more by doing it . i have built 2 ,1 with a rear brake and 1 without , but wouldnt ride 1 again without a rear brake .

where are you based in uk ?

i have a single speeder that could quite quickly be a fixed ride but i enjoy single speeds as well

OP
OP
P

Phixion

I don't have the tools or know-how to build my own.

I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

My main concern is spending money on a fixed gear only to find I'm struggling around the hills here.

I'd love to try one out but don't know anyone with a fixed gear bike.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I don't have the tools or know-how to build my own.

I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

My main concern is spending money on a fixed gear only to find I'm struggling around the hills here.

I'd love to try one out but don't know anyone with a fixed gear bike.

there must be somebody localish on here who would be prepared to let you have a go

the main difference is rear wheel and bottom bracket spacing so easy enough to do , first one i did my lbs did the above and i finished it off all for leass than £130 including buying frame and all the parts 2nd hand

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I ride a fixed mainly for fitness, but it is fun too.
I had some great advice on here from a local (to me) re gearing and it turned out to be pretty spot on.
In reality if you are newish to cycling you may find it a strange experience (not being able to freewheel that is), but it has made me fitter than I was riding a geared bike (and I was quite fit before!) and I love it.
You'll be surprised at what hills you will get up, even if you think aren't possible and as you get stronger you may even end up changing the gearing again to go faster! You'll get fit pretty quick I reckon.

Most fixed do seem to be geared for around towns/cities so if you are planning rides in the country I'd definitely budget for a new rear sprocket and chain.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Does anyone use a fixed gear for fitness rides?
Are fixed gears really that fun to ride over a regular bike?
As I am pretty unfit, will I regret not getting a geared bike and end up walking up hills etc?
Which fixed gear would you recommend?

I like the look of the Charge Plug, I like that it's steel, but is it good quality steel? Would it be a nicer ride than a similar priced aluminum bike?
Yep, I ride fixed for fitness. Furthest I've done in one go is 225km - with a back brake, makes it easier on the legs over long distances.
fixed vs gears = more fun. Apples and Oranges. I ride both. They are both fun but in different ways.
What's wrong with walking up hills? Even people with gears walk up hills if they are unfit or the hill is simply too steep.
I'd suggest you start somewhere around a 60" - 66" gear.
Charge Plug is a good vfm decent quality ots (off the shelf) fixed bike, might be a teeny bit overgeared at first, and a perfect intro to fixed gear riding.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
IMHO single speed blows fixed into the weeds for fitness.

High-intensity sprint and glide will have your fitness levels up in no time. A fixie can't do anything a single speed can't do.

Chistophe

Afternoon All

3narf - I'll react to your last post. In many ways single speed is way superior to fixed. Best of both worlds in my opinion. You get the simplicity and the workout of fixed but with the added benefit of the freewheel on the downhill. Downhill spinning can be a PITA (literally) Both brakes are a must also in my opinion. Apart from that it's all good!

Single speed is a poor mans fixed....

I've done some maths and sadly, I believe that fixed is the poor man's fixed.

But as there seems to be a consensus that singlespeed is for girls and similar, we don't have to worry about that....

musa

Über Member
Ss/fixed os fantastic

I plan to go back on it for my commute. Ive done my commute on the middle ring (34t) which was comfortable

Top Bottom