Fixed for fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
IMHO single speed blows fixed into the weeds for fitness.

High-intensity sprint and glide will have your fitness levels up in no time. A fixie can't do anything a single speed can't do.
It's an opinion.

Not one I share but it's an opinion nonetheless and you're entitled to it.;)

Tim Hall

I don't have the tools or know-how to build my own.

I'm in Telford, Shropshire.

My main concern is spending money on a fixed gear only to find I'm struggling around the hills here.

I'd love to try one out but don't know anyone with a fixed gear bike.

I took my fixer with me a couple of years ago when I was at conference in Telford. Went for a spin in the evening down the cycleway past Blists Hill, into Ironbridge, along the valley towards the power station, then over the river and up the hill towards Much Wenlock for a way, probably as far as the top. Turned round, back into Ironbridge then up some v steep hill, then got horribly lost round the Telford one way system. Gearing was 48 x 19 I think, so that's 68 inches.

Getting UP Harley Hill towards Much Wenlock might be character forming, as it's got a chevron. Easier to go up via Hughely I imagine. Don't even think about Burway Hill in Church Stretton.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm neither poor nor a girl.:thumbsup: I love my SS. I love my fixed. Hell I'll say I even love the gears.
Horses for courses. Fixed for shorter ride. SS for long ones. Gears for REALLY long ones.
235km on fixed is my longest ride to date. I'll have a crack at 300km next year.

Reactions: 4F

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Telford has quite a range of gradients from nothing much north of Donnington, medium around Oakengates and challenging down in the gorge. I think you'd soon build up your fitness riding fixed and when you do there are more difficult climbs to keep you improving. The light weight and efficient drive chain of a fixed added to the fact that your only choice when you meet a hill is to get up or get off will soon have you getting up harder climbs than you thought possible.

Teuchter

Über Member
Something I've seen quoted on forums before is something like...
Fixed gear has three speeds... sitting, standing and walking

At least one of those will get you up most hills.

I often find going down steep hills on fixed to be worse than going uphill. I can see the benefits of SS at those moments.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Getting UP Harley Hill towards Much Wenlock might be character forming, as it's got a chevron.

Funny you say that, when I got my first Road Bike in 2011 I went that way and almost died and that was WITH gears, LOL!

It was a great ride around the base of the Wrekin though, it's really pretty around there.

There are some pretty cheap fixed gears out there now. I'm looking at the Charge Plug though as I love the look of it... I don't like that it doesn't have mounts for bottle cages, though - I would definitely need water for longer rides.

Edit: I also love the look of the Kona Paddy Wagon... and the fact that it's steel. Hmm, I'ma go to Evans Cycles in Birmingham to check em out!

Top Bottom