Fixed gear removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSmatty

having moved to a single-speed recently I am now contemplating the change to Fixed Gear.
How easy is it to change the sprocket if I want to change the gearing?
i.e. if i start with a 16T and want to replace it with 17T

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just need a chain whip and lock ring tool. Only factor is chain length so make sure your axel is in the middle of the drop out slot as you'll move the wheel forward for larger sprockets

jim55

Guru
Yeah I'd think so , but it's getting the freewheel off that's the thing u might need a dedicated freewheel remover( if it a single speed freewheel

Sharky

Guru
Will a C spanner do the lock ring?
The lock ring does not need to be that tight. It is opposite thread, so if needed to stop the sprocket from coming off, it would automatically tighten. I can usually get mine off by hand.

Apart from the normal threaded sprockets, I think Miche do a slide on system, which is easier to swop, but I've never tried this system.

jim55

Guru
Well gen one more tooth on sprocket works out to three links on chain so at very least ul need a longer chan

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well gen one more tooth on sprocket works out to three links on chain so at very least ul need a longer chan
Depends. I swap between a 16T fixed and 18T free without chainging the chain, so to speak.

Top Bottom