Fixed Penalty Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

campbellab

being a non driver, it amazes me how little many drivers know about the highway code... anyone would think it's only purpose is to help them pass their driving test, then they can forget all about it.

or maybe just a circular red sign with a bike in it. :thumbsup:

Or a red triangle with a bike in it... Errr?! :smile:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
There are no highway signs with circles with a red line through them. The reason for this is that if you are travelling at speed in excess of 30mph, you might not have enough time to see what you are not allowed to do if there is a red line through it. Red circles with lines through are for pedestrians, tube users, pub smokers etc. On the road, red circle means "DO NOT"... red triangle means "There may be lots of..."

Mallory

That is one thing that I am in two minds about, times and places to allow HGV's in London.

I was cycling through Oxford Street on a Saturday during a very busy time of day (around lunchtime or just after) and the number of taxis, buses and pedestrians was quite high.

Now down Oxford Street was driving a large tipper truck, I stayed behind as it was too narrow to pass and I value my health.
However it just seemed to me that no matter how skilled the driver, you have the summer heat, pedestrians all over the place not really paying too much attention, a minority of impatient people who may go down the left side of the vehicle, or those who may cross without looking.

Now I know these larger vehicles need to get about, but in my mind, do we need them travelling down places like Oxford Street on a Saturday where you have a large number of vunerable road users about?

Perhaps I am overthinking it, but it just seemed in my opinion that it would been better for that vehicle to have used a different route or gone down there at a different time of the day...

Banning HGV's is going to be hard

However banning the "payment per drop" would make sense because it actively encourages the driver to race from site to site. Maybe stricter tachograph rules should apply within the M25/ Low Emissions zone? Less hours behind the wheel or maybe a restricted speed limit.

Mallory

Apropos to nothing much, I watched last Sunday's episode of Law and Order UK last night and was amazed that the young copper found it difficult to believe that a suspect didn't have a driving license. I've never had one and have no intention of getting one.

well that actor's always been a prat in whatever role i've seen him in.

But it probably got more to do with the thatcher quote about being in 30's and using buses = failure.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are no highway signs with circles with a red line through them. The reason for this is that if you are travelling at speed in excess of 30mph, you might not have enough time to see what you are not allowed to do if there is a red line through it. Red circles with lines through are for pedestrians, tube users, pub smokers etc. On the road, red circle means "DO NOT"... red triangle means "There may be lots of..."
No u-turn signs are often to be found on national speed limit dual-carriageways; they are circular with a red line running across the u-turn arrow. A red circle, on the road, is used for a give way to oncoming traffic instruction which I'm not certain I see as a DO NOT

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Red circles are prohibitions. What is the sign you're referring to? I can't picture it..

GC
It's the "give priority to oncoming vehicles" one, I reckon. Which is a prohibition, as you correctly say, as you are not allowed to procede until oncoming traffic has passed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's the "give priority to oncoming vehicles" one, I reckon. Which is a prohibition, as you correctly say, as you are not allowed to procede until oncoming traffic has passed.
That's the sign. What % of car drivers obey it when the oncoming traffic is a bicycle?

Top Bottom