Fixed Penalty Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You go to work without your wallet? Really?

I find that hard to believe...

i don't use a wallet. It's pointless having a wallet to put a couple of tenners in when i've got perfectly good pockets. I have one cash card, no credit cards, no loyalty cards, no driving license, no utility payment cards or any of the other tat people pack their wallets with.

subaqua

What’s the point
To me, banning HGVs is kind of like banning mobile phone masts. All very well until you need one (or what's on one). I imagine the main logistics companies have thought long and hard about delivering in the middle of the night (quieter roads for them too, more progress made etc) and yet it just isn't cost effective. So ban HGVs but bear in mind that when Little Miss X wants a new playstation and there's no stock, part of it will have been your choice.
and so have construction companies. however to comply with S61 notices we can't make a lot of noise between certain hours due to residents , so can't deliver what we need at night .

As i have said earlier, all that moving deliveries and large vehicles to night/evening deliveris is move a problem not solve a problem. akin to taking a paracetamol for a broken leg rather than getting the correct treatment.

MrPaul says quite rightly , that there are better routes that can be used. I used a better route through the area last week . and I didn't jump any red lights

Davidsw8

Some yes, some no, Mainly the contraflow ones you can't.

hah, didn't know that. maybe i've not come across one that I can't. I just looked up the sign that would prohibit anything but a bus using a bus lane and I have to say, I honestly wouldn't assume from that that I couldn't use it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191924.pdf

Given that many cyclists haven't necessarily learnt to drive and given that this sign isn't an especially clear one (not to me anyway), I can see a lot of people inadvertently breaking the law here.

martint235

Dog on a bike
hah, didn't know that. maybe i've not come across one that I can't. I just looked up the sign that would prohibit anything but a bus using a bus lane and I have to say, I honestly wouldn't assume from that that I couldn't use it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_191924.pdf

Given that many cyclists haven't necessarily learnt to drive and given that this sign isn't an especially clear one (not to me anyway), I can see a lot of people inadvertently breaking the law here.
I work on the simple principle that there's a road. I'm allowed to cycle on that. Anything that looks different to a road (pavement, bus lane etc) will either give me explicit permission to be on it or I'm not allowed to be. The sign for a bus only lane shows a bus only.

Davidsw8

I work on the simple principle that there's a road. I'm allowed to cycle on that. Anything that looks different to a road (pavement, bus lane etc) will either give me explicit permission to be on it or I'm not allowed to be. The sign for a bus only lane shows a bus only.

I can see the logic of it now I've looked it up and it's been explained to me, I think that's probably my failing but I also think that raises the issue of educating people better with regards to reading road signs and general good cycling.

Another (kind of related) example is that I know some motorcyclists genuinely believe those ASZ's are meant for them to use as well... Is this information imparted to people in their tests? Or maybe because ASZ's are a relatively recent introduction many motorists simply have never been told.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

British Cycling did a study and something like 80% of it's members also drove.

MontyVeda

I can see the logic of it now I've looked it up and it's been explained to me, I think that's probably my failing but I also think that raises the issue of educating people better with regards to reading road signs and general good cycling.

what's wrong with just educating yourself?

The highway code is available from most good bookshops and post offices, and it's even free online.

Davidsw8

what's wrong with just educating yourself?

The highway code is available from most good bookshops and post offices, and it's even free online.

No harm at all, in fact given that I'm a librarian, I thoroughly recommend it ^_^

That being said, how many people that drive know every in and out of the Highway Code, let alone those that don't drive? It's also quite hard to learn something that you had no idea existed. I mean, I know now and that's great but prior to this thread I thought I knew what most signs meant and I had no idea that cycles were prohibited from going down a bus lane. If there was circular red sign of a cycle with a red strike through it or one that said 'No Cycles' then I'd definitely get it.

Anyway, as I say, I know now.

MontyVeda

being a non driver, it amazes me how little many drivers know about the highway code... anyone would think it's only purpose is to help them pass their driving test, then they can forget all about it.

.... I had no idea that cycles were prohibited from going down a bus lane. If there was circular red sign of a cycle with a red strike through it or one that said 'No Cycles' then I'd definitely get it.

or maybe just a circular red sign with a bike in it. :thumbsup:

Davidsw8

being a non driver, it amazes me how little many drivers know about the highway code... anyone would think it's only purpose is to help them pass their driving test, then they can forget all about it.

or maybe just a circular red sign with a bike in it. :thumbsup:

Oh dear, I shouldn't be allowed on the roads ^_^ but some red circle road signs have lines through them, is that prohibiting an action by anyone rather than a type of vehicle?

Top Bottom