Fixed Penalty Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
[QUOTE 2555941, member: 45"]Tangling? You're continuing to use unhelpful language.

I've lived and cycled in London, Birmingham and Bristol (area). I've never tangled with an HGV. I've never been forced to use a certain route. I've never needed to jump a red light.

And there are still other options for you. It's not a case of break the law or die at the mercy of a truck.[/quote]

It's not all about you and me. The options are not easy for a lot of people who don't feel comfortable in heavy fast flowing traffic.

A HGV ban at commuting times would help get more people riding in the inner city. As would a bike lane on some of these ample roads.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
From the twitter machine via @citycyclists:

Evening Standard: why are cyclists banned bus lane that avoids killer Holborn junction http://t.co/3fqata3GcF

Oh for faks sake....

I'm annoyed now, not with you (solely) but with the fact that despite promising myself not too...i'm bloody engaging with you on this ridiculous argument.

Look, i get it, you've posted, you've taken a stance and you've committed yourself to it.

Thats all human nature and its admirable

But at some point you HAVE to, in some tiny way, understand that you are just wrong.

I've listened to your voice on the video and you seem articulate and intelligent ( apart from the pathetic attempt to inconvenience the frankly overwhelmingly patient copper, with a lie about carrying id...what you travel to work without a credit card, or a bank card a mobile phone with some contacts to verify your id...really)

So why the trolling, why keep insisting that a junction is to blame, or a past incident or road planning.

You are to blame

YOU.....just YOU, noone else, nothing else, no other history.

Take some well meant advice, please.

Dont jump reds
Dont ride up roads you are not entitled to
Dont insist on doing so even when proven wrong
Dont tangle with any bloody traffic, just ride

But most of all

Dont continue on this pointless course of blaming everything else, insulting everyone else, insisting everything else is against you and that only you are right and everything else is wrong

Just sit back...for a few moments, think about it and stop being such a bloody arse.

Sorry shaun, profanity checker will need to do overtime on this one.

And in answer to your question above, they are "banned" because of people like you who cannot...or perhaps will not distinguish between common sense and bloody mindedness.

Right, i need a fag now ....and i don't even bloody smoke

Frood42

I know where my towel is
A HGV ban at commuting times would help get more people riding in the inner city.

That is one thing that I am in two minds about, times and places to allow HGV's in London.

I was cycling through Oxford Street on a Saturday during a very busy time of day (around lunchtime or just after) and the number of taxis, buses and pedestrians was quite high.

Now down Oxford Street was driving a large tipper truck, I stayed behind as it was too narrow to pass and I value my health.
However it just seemed to me that no matter how skilled the driver, you have the summer heat, pedestrians all over the place not really paying too much attention, a minority of impatient people who may go down the left side of the vehicle, or those who may cross without looking.

Now I know these larger vehicles need to get about, but in my mind, do we need them travelling down places like Oxford Street on a Saturday where you have a large number of vunerable road users about?

Perhaps I am overthinking it, but it just seemed in my opinion that it would been better for that vehicle to have used a different route or gone down there at a different time of the day...

martint235

Dog on a bike
To me, banning HGVs is kind of like banning mobile phone masts. All very well until you need one (or what's on one). I imagine the main logistics companies have thought long and hard about delivering in the middle of the night (quieter roads for them too, more progress made etc) and yet it just isn't cost effective. So ban HGVs but bear in mind that when Little Miss X wants a new playstation and there's no stock, part of it will have been your choice.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
That is one thing that I am in two minds about, times and places to allow HGV's in London, banning HGV's at certain times on certain peak routes may help.

I was cycling through Oxford Street on a Saturday during a very busy time of day (around lunchtime or just after) and the number of taxis, buses and pedestrians was quite high.

Now down Oxford Street was driving a large tipper truck, I stayed behind as it was too narrow to pass and I value my health.
However it just seemed to me that no matter how skilled the driver, you have the summer heat, pedestrians all over the place not really paying too much attention, a minority of impatient people who may go down the left side of the vehicle, or those who may cross without looking.

Now I know these larger vehicles need to get about, but in my mind, do we need them travelling down places like Oxford Street on a Saturday where you have a large number of vunerable road users about?

Perhaps I am overthinking it, but it just seemed in my opinion that it would been better for that vehicle to have used a different route or gone down there at a different time of the day...
Whilst you were there did you happen to notice all the buildings on either side, or the road beneath your wheels, the lights, the pavements, the power,drains,services.

How do you think they all got there?

Do you think they were carried in by hand in buckets. Construction needs to go on to keep us happy and unfortunately, against almost everyones wishes (you can trust me as i work in a related industry) it needs to happen at weekends.

So yes, if an hgv was there, on a saturday you can assume it had pretty good reason to be, i doubt it would just poodle up oxford street for a jolly.

Sorry if i'm short, i'm still seething from my earlier post, its not you.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Whilst you were there did you happen to notice all the buildings on either side, or the road beneath your wheels, the lights, the pavements, the power,drains,services.

How do you think they all got there?

Do you think they were carried in by hand in buckets. Construction needs to go on to keep us happy and unfortunately, against almost everyones wishes (you can trust me as i work in a related industry) it needs to happen at weekends.

So yes, if an hgv was there, on a saturday you can assume it had pretty good reason to be, i doubt it would just poodle up oxford street for a jolly.

Sorry if i'm short, i'm still seething from my earlier post, its not you.

Oh, yes, I noticed the infrastructure, and while the road and general area was quite busy the surface was quite nice to ride on.

I agree with what you are saying, that is why I am in two minds, I am sure the people who do the logistics for these and plan the routes (or even the driver) will have had a good reason for being there.
Then there is the side of me that thinks, could the work have been done another time?
I'm sure that most of the time the answer is no, but as I have limited/no visibilty of that there is going to be doubt (and I will never have that visibility).

Reminds me of the tube upgrade, it is needed work, and the weekend is only the real time they can do it, otherwise it will impact on people's commutes, and potentially impact on business.

Maintenance does need to be carried out to keep things moving.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure there are quite a number of European city zones in which large goods vehicles may not be moved during rush hour without a lot of paperwork and very good reasons.

Presumably, it costs a little more to put up or maintain buildings in those cities, and to restock the supermarkets. But presumably, the residents of those cities allowed their leaders to put the HGV limits in place because they felt a little inconvenience, a few euros on the rent or a few cents on the price of a pizza, were a worthwhile price to pay for safer roads for everyone (including Martin's Little Miss X).

I've travelled through a few European cities where there were conspicuously few large lorries. Civilization appears to continue there, and a lot of it rather more civilized than here. (By gum, you Londoners can be an abrasive lot!)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Oh, yes, I noticed the infrastructure, and while the road and general area was quite busy the surface was quite nice to ride on.

I agree with what you are saying, that is why I am in two minds, I am sure the people who do the logistics for these and plan the routes (or even the driver) will have had a good reason for being there.
Then there is the side of me that thinks, could the work have been done another time?
I'm sure that most of the time the answer is no, but as I have limited/no visibility of that there is going to be doubt (and I will never have that visibility).

Reminds me of the tube upgrade, it is needed work, and the weekend is only the real time they can do it, otherwise it will impact on people's commutes, and potentially impact on business.

Maintenance does need to be carried out to keep things moving.

Now this is where my limited crossover knowledge runs out, I suspect that commercial companies are encouraged by all manner of cost restrictions, licenses and general faffing to NOT undertake works in these areas, at these times. However up until recently I believe civil firms (undertaking infrastructure works) could just pitch up willy nilly and create all manner of congestion. I'm pretty sure they are now financially punished for not liaising with other service providers to keep disruption to a minimum.

Seems to be that way at least, as it feels like there is less congestion caused by road works these days.

Apologies again for the snooty tone when I started my last. I'm sure you understand.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
To me, banning HGVs is kind of like banning mobile phone masts. All very well until you need one (or what's on one). I imagine the main logistics companies have thought long and hard about delivering in the middle of the night (quieter roads for them too, more progress made etc) and yet it just isn't cost effective. So ban HGVs but bear in mind that when Little Miss X wants a new playstation and there's no stock, part of it will have been your choice.
I do believe that they are banned at night (this is the tipper trucks).

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Apologies again for the snooty tone when I started my last. I'm sure you understand.

Yes, of course, the forums would be very boring if everyone thought the same!

Debate, passion and a difference of thought is always a good thing in my mind (of course you also need moderation otherwise these things could run on for more than 6 or 7 pages, like helmet and headphone debates or dominos pizza customer feedback threads :tongue: :laugh: ).

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got to admit it as a fair cop! Both you being done & the officer charging you :smile:
Cyclists taking no notice of traffic signals/signs are as bad & potentially as dangerous as motorists, but we are much more vunerable when we do take these risks. Must admit I'm not whiter than white, there's one particular spot on my regular riding that I take to the pavement as I consider it much safer & if I had an officer deal with me the way you were dealt with I'd take it on the chin, pay the fine & carry on :thumbsup:
As someone else mentioned though £16 fine hardly makes it a massive earner for the police

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
But I still feel it is a safer route particularly if I'm coming from Greys Inn Road direction.

So putting together two posts you were coming from Grays Inn Road bound towards Tottenham Ct Rd?

Others mention using Gt Russell St. There is also a range of other options to swing westbound before you meet Holborn. These include roads in the Guilford St area and linking onto the Tavistock Way cycle route which is segregated and fully bike legal. It has its own hazards but if you prefer the road is available instead.

The Police might have been better handing out advice leaflets showing alternative routes. OTOH they may have tried that already. The route has been open at least two years and signage was very quickly amended to clarify its status as bus only.

Given the number of cyclists who continue to use the route (I've had several near misses travelling Bloomsbury Way eastbound) nothing seems to have much effect. The only way to achieve that might be barriers operated by the approach of a bus.

Top Bottom