Fixed - starting off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D4VOW

totallyfixed said:
That's the thing about fixed, you soon learn to think ahead much more than on a geared bike, I think you become a better rider for it as you anticipate everything.:

+1

Matty

Not riding a fixed I just assumed you rode backwards in circles none-handed like all 'fixie' videos on youtube........................

Greenbank

Über Member
bigfella said:
Well I did my first fixed ride the other day, did 10 miles. Was good fun and seemed to get on ok. The only thing I have a problem with is starting off, for example, at some traffic lights on a geared / SS bike you can "reset" your pedal position.

Whats the nack here? Front brake on, raise rear wheel slightly and reset the crank position?

Once you're used to it it's fun not even bothering. Just leave one foot clipped in (usually the right) and then just give yourself a push off with your left foot on the ground. Even if your right foot is in the worst position (right at the bottom of the pedal stroke) the momentum from pushing off will be enough to bring the pedals round so that you can stand on the left pedal or just pull up with the right foot that's clipped in. Unless you've got crap co-ordination you'll be clipped in and riding along in no time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Do beware of track standing. It looks cool, but all it takes is one numpty giving you a slight nudge and you go down like a felled tree. (Assuming clipless.)

Top Bottom