Fixed with no brakes. How do you stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I can't see that stopping effort is affected by what gear you're in on a fixed wheel - just crank length, speed and weight (says Mr Papershuffling Lawyer, who knows didddly squat about mechanics).

My fixies always have front and back brakes with plenty of bite. It's pretty hilly in Yorkshire and I don't see the sense in turning my legs into egg whisks on my way down the Chevin or ripping my triceps off at the bottom. In fact without brakes there would be a lot of routes I just couldn't do.

Rev Will

ASC1951 said:
I can't see that stopping effort is affected by what gear you're in on a fixed wheel - just crank length, speed and weight (says Mr Papershuffling Lawyer, who knows didddly squat about mechanics).

A larger gear will take more effort to stop when it is unweighted, making it harder to start the skid.

A gear in the 70s should be fine once you have the technique. If it doesn't work, and your feet are still on the pedals, you need to get the wheel more unweighted. Crotch to the stem is the way I learned it. Obviously, thats an exaggeration, but it gives you an idea of the movement when you try it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was about to say that fixed with no brakes on the road equals evolution in action, but maybe that cuts a bit close to home with my skates!!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You've all missed the real method of stopping a brakeless fixed wheel, which has become a dying art lost to the fashion fixies of today. You always wear mitts or gloves, and like the six day riders of old used to do when they needed to be relayed back into the action quickly after a short recovery round the banking you press the palm of your hand firmly down on the front tyre. Surprisingly effective when combined with back pressure on the pedals, and the real reason why trak mitts have a re-enforced section on the palm.

And anyone who fits a back brake to a fixed wheel bike should add stabalisers as well. IT JUST AIN'T DONE!

Jakob

Start practicing in small hops/skips at slow speed when it's wet/damp. It's a specific skill that you wont learn unless you practice. Probably better to start with a gearing of 70" or below. When I was riding regularly, I could skid my track gearing (86"), but it took some determination!...and after a few weeks off the bike, I was struggling with my regular 76".
You can ride in normal situations perfectly safely without any other brakes, but I still prefer a front brake for lazy days and emergencies!
Stopping distances *are* shorter with a front brake.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
spandex said:
Mr joe have you ridden fixed?
Not for years, but extensively at one time as all clubmen had a fixed wheel bike in their armoury. Rode TT's on them too.

Top Bottom