Fixing a bike after a road accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I can't believe you haven't put it back on the road since last summer. I get mine back up in a couple of days.

Normally the best idea if you arent injured badly and unable to ride

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I don't think 5cm warpage is worth trying to fix -that is just too much (at least for me). Concerning the CF fork, I really don't know -though I tend to think anytime you are in an accident -and it sounds like you hit something (or something hit you) fairly hard -I'm not sure I'd want to trust the fork after that. So put me down as a new replacement fork person.

Readjusting where the shifter is should be fairly easy, but did the handlebars take any impact? I'm of the school of thought that once you are in a nasty collision, I'd be super cautious about using the same parts again. Probably the cost involved to get parts thoroughly checked are going to be the price of new parts anyway....and if its an insurance claim..... I'm also of the school of thought that if I'm not comfortable riding with those parts, I'm not going to be selling them on either.

Edit: just saw your pic. Doesn't look like you were in a really bad impact, at least from the pic. I was thinking it could have been worse.

vickster

Legendary Member
To be fair we don't know the circumstances
The :biggrin: should have indicated it was in jest!

migrantwing

Veteran
New bars + new wheel = sorted.

I'd definitely have it checked over though. May as well get a new fork if it's damaged, too.

OP
OP
annirak

annirak

Veteran
I didn't fix the bike right away because I was in a neck brace for six weeks. I didn't get back on a bike at all for 12 weeks. When I did, it was my hybrid.

I haven't repaired the bike before this because the LBS that did an estimate for the lawyers quoted more than I paid for the bike.

I can't just request an advance because I had to get lawyers involved. I contacted the driver's insurance company, they said they would contact the driver and get back to me. I never heard from them again.

midlife

Guru
Hope it all works out, just check with your lawyers you don't get caught in the betterment trap.

Shaun

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't fix the bike right away because I was in a neck brace for six weeks. I didn't get back on a bike at all for 12 weeks. When I did, it was my hybrid.

I haven't repaired the bike before this because the LBS that did an estimate for the lawyers quoted more than I paid for the bike.

I can't just request an advance because I had to get lawyers involved. I contacted the driver's insurance company, they said they would contact the driver and get back to me. I never heard from them again.
The lawyers should request the advance on your behalf. Best talk to them about the process. Or you can keep receipts and send to the lawyers to include in the claim, assuming your claim includes damage to the bike

PK99

Legendary Member

In similar circumstances, I claimed for the bike on my household insurance, paid the excess.
My insurance then cross-claimed against the drivers insurance and I claimed the excess - more or less instant payout with a phone call and faxed write off report from my LBS

Top Bottom