Fixing a puncture - advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I was out cycling last night and got a puncture on the way home on the front wheel of my Giant road bike. The tyres I have are Continental Gatorskin Hardshell. I'm not very good at fixing things and I've only ever fixed a puncture once before, so I'm looking for some advice. Is this what I should be doing:

Check the wheel (the part that the inner tube sits on) for any debris (thorns, shards of glass, etc) and also do the same for the inside, side and outside of the tyre. Put a bit of air into the new inner tube (just enough to give it some shape), then put the valve inside the hole, put the inner tube on and work the tyre round being very careful not to pinch - is this correct.

Also (see enclosed picture) - I've pulled up the wee black lever thingy (in pic) to release the brakes to get the tyre out - is that all I need to do here or should I be doing something else? It looks as if the flat tyre was able to come out from between the brake blocks but it certainly doesn't look like a fully inflated tyre would be able to fit back in - hence the reason I'm asking if there is something else I should be doing.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20161020_073624.jpg
    20161020_073624.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
No you are pretty much spot on. The only thing you may need to do is reinsert the wheel before inflating if you don't feel comfortable releasing the brake cable.

I presume you are seating one side of the tyre on the rim before putting in the inner tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it better to do this - I think I did this the last (and only) time I fixed a puncture - I can't remember!
Yes, it's better.

By the way, it sounds like you're just replacing an inner tube, rather than fixing the puncture. Fixing the puncture is also a useful skill to have as you can carry more patches than you can inner tubes, but maybe get this first and try that later.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You should be able to get a fully inflated tyre back in by just slackening off the brake release / wee black lever thingy. But if not, inflate after you've but it back on. Do remember to close the lever after, it can be a bit alarming if you don't, and I speak from experience on this!

If you remember where the valve hole was in relation to the tyre and then put some air in the removed tube to find the hole, it can help with narrowing down where to look for thorns / debris still left in the tyre. Running your fingers round the inside will normally find something

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Put some air in the old tube and find out where it was punctured, this will give you a clue to where whatever it was came through the tyre. Might be as well to check the rim too as a slightly proud spoke or swarf might be to blame.

Brand X

I always put a little bit of air into the inner-tube first to prevent pinching, then I put the tube into the tyre, and then offer it up to the wheel rim. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but it works for me. Tip: Think in three dimensions when trying to remove/refit a tyre; it WILL go, you just have to get it on at the right angle.

mjr

If you remember where the valve hole was in relation to the tyre and then put some air in the removed tube to find the hole, it can help with narrowing down where to look for thorns / debris still left in the tyre. Running your fingers round the inside will normally find something
That's part of why people line the tyre logo up with the valve hole, to make it easier to relate the valve/puncture distance on the tube back to the tyre.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I had a quick look this morning before I left for work and can't see anything obvious that would have caused the tyre to go down.

robgul

Legendary Member
As stated you're doing fine - the challenge when out on the road (assuming you have a track pump at home) is getting enough pressure into a road-bike tyre with a hand pump.

A quick solution is to carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and an inflator - the CO2 wangs the pressure straight up to the required level (don't forget to hold the cartridge with a gloved hand when inflating - it freezes!) - when you have access to a track pump deflate the CO2 filled tyre and reinflate as the CO2 filled tube will soften over about 3 days [This has been discussed before!]

And in the interests of economy and the environment - patch the tube for re-use.

Rob

Plus if it's the rear wheel put the chain on the big ring on the chainset and smallest cog on the cassette,makes it easier to get the wheel out and back in again;just remember to put the chain back up the block or it'll be a bit hard riding off again!

Oh and carry some disposable latex gloves to stop your hands getting mucky.

mjr

As stated you're doing fine - the challenge when out on the road (assuming you have a track pump at home) is getting enough pressure into a road-bike tyre with a hand pump.

A quick solution is to carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and an inflator [...]
And in the interests of economy and the environment - patch the tube for re-use.
Bit odd to appeal to the interests of economy and the environment straight after advocating CO2 bottles! Just get a pump rated to a high enough pressure and that's better for both. I like mini floor pumps with telescoping barrels (Truflo MiniTrack is good, others commend the Lezyne Floor Drive ones) but there's probably lots.

Oh and carry some disposable latex gloves to stop your hands getting mucky.
I find nitriles better because my nails go straight through latex disposables. Toolstation are currently doing 8 for £1.

Good tip on gear selection, though. Pivoting the rear mech by hand can also help get the wheel in or out more easily, but that's hard to explain in detail, so here's a video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orUoZ_oO7g

Not sure about loosening and tightening the rear wheel by spinning the QR lever instead of the nut - is that OK?

A couple of "tips"

It sounds obsessive but it works...always align the tyre with the valve

For instance the upright of the "h" in Schwalbe

It means that you can overlay the tube on the tyre and pinpoint the exact location of the offending object quickly

Secondly, whilst repairing a puncture at the roadside is an essential skill, there is nothing wrong withbreplacing the tube and repairing the puncture itself in the warm

Finally if you have a regular route, know the bus shelters, pubs with smokers shelters etc...walking a few yards and dealing with the puncture in the dry, warm, and with a cup of tea or pint of beer is a good investment

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Thank you to everyone who responded.

I managed to fix it all in 20 mins (not bad for a second time). I put one side of the tyre on its rim, then put a wee bit of air into the inner tube (just enough to give it shape), then pushed it into the tyre (being very careful not to pinch it), then worked the remaining side of the tyre round, again being careful not to catch and pinch the inner tube, then I pumped it right up and...job done!

Thanks again everyone - much appreciated.

Top Bottom