Fixing bikes for others - mechanical neglect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Agree, the only thing I would like in a group ride is the ability to bring and change an inner tube.
Unless the rider has a lift on speed dial of course.
The fear of mechanicals in the group is a factor why, in my women's group, we have lots of qualified leaders but very few actually lead a ride on their own.

It's okay to pay someone to do this king of stuff, all posters here are frequenting a cycling forum, so have an interest in the sport (and I do find it strange that they'd have no interest at all in how a bike works, but that's just me) so probably are actually getting their bikes fixed and notice problems when they arise... From mine and others posting it's also very obvious that many many people ride bikes both on and off road that they think are completely fine that are actually death traps - it's true in law that cyclists have right to use the road and motorists are licensed, and it's openly celebrated among us - legally a motorists car has to be safe for use and pass an mot test each year etc. If there are so many cyclists who cannot fix a puncture or change a tyre or can't tell when there's a problem, is it OK for them to use the roads? Should they have to get their bikes tested for road safety often? Or is it OK because we all enjoy the same sport/hobby?

And frankly, a lot of the comparisons that have come up are a joke.. I don't need an accountant or electrician or plumber, I have fixed a few flat screen TV, I have fixed pcb boards (actually as a child one was an old games console joypad) and probably a lot of the other things listed). Those things are not what the thread is about.. Heck, until a couple of years ago I couldn't whistle - is that because I wanted to pay and carry around a whistling lollipop or because I wanted to pay someone to do it for me?

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but seriously, if we were talking about making a cup of tea, would anyone be saying "why should I make my own, I choose to pay someone and I also can't do brain surgery"

Top Bottom