Fixing into breeze blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul J

Hmm if you are fixing into a single skin of block why not drill right through and put a plate on the outside. Or if not possible maybe upgrade the size of plug and screw to a 6mm coach screw and a larger plug

Sca1ey

I used B&Q Anchor Bolts for my 3 bike racks (from Halfords) on my garage wall. They are metal and use a nut to expand them in the wall. Even with a heavy recumbent and a tourer on one of them they haven't shifted a mm.

Easily found next to the Rawl plugs in B&Q and also on their website. Just make sure you get ones with long bolts otherwise they can be fiddly to get the rack on once they're in the wall.

Tim

400bhp

Guru
I used B&Q Anchor Bolts for my 3 bike racks (from Halfords) on my garage wall. They are metal and use a nut to expand them in the wall. Even with a heavy recumbent and a tourer on one of them they haven't shifted a mm.

Easily found next to the Rawl plugs in B&Q and also on their website. Just make sure you get ones with long bolts otherwise they can be fiddly to get the rack on once they're in the wall.

Tim

Tim wins.

Just don't buy they from B&Q-they charge two arms and legs. Try screwfix or somesuch.

U

User482

+1 for anchor bolts. I've used them for ground anchors and for fixing a pergola onto a concrete patio - they are properly solid.

02GF74

Über Member
+1 for anchor bolts. I've used them for ground anchors and for fixing a pergola onto a concrete patio - they are properly solid.
yeah, but he is fixing into thermalite, which in case you don't know, are as strong as a cream cracker biscuit - i.e. they are crumbly. Any method of fixing that relies on expading withing the block won't work as it will split the block. Anchor bolts work in concrete as concrete is much much stronger and not likely tii crimble.

those spiral screws look like the best solution.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
yeah, but he is fixing into thermalite, which in case you don't know, are as strong as a cream cracker biscuit - i.e. they are crumbly.

I visited a Thermalite factory 20+ years ago, they bake them like a cake and then cut them into size with wire, so when you describe them as akin to a biscuit you're not far off!

ayceejay

Guru
I think the best method would be to fix a length of 2" x 4" to the wall using a contractors or epoxy glue making sure you stick it directly to the blocks and not a covering material of some kind. Then screw your bike rack into that. If the fixing screws are longer than the thickness of the timber, don't worry you can screw directly into Themalite blocks.

Top Bottom