Flanged hubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Flanged hubs were very popular in the fifties & sixties, but went out of fashion. I must admit I've always thought they look good on a road bike with a decent chromoly frame, but what was the idea behind them and was there actually any particular advantage / drawback to them - ?

midlife

Guru
I rode large flange BITD on track and TT. The theory was that the spokes were shorter and so made for a stiffer wheel, especially if tied and soldered.

My road wheels were small flange for long distance comfort.

That was the theory in the 70's lol. Large flange looked better......

ChrisEyles

Guru
I guess that does make sense @midlife, especially for racing with big Watts and marginal gains. Can't say I've noticed the difference between the small flange and large flange wheels I've ridden though... Mind you I think I am singularly insensitive when it comes to cycling, barring a hideously poor fit it all feels more or less all right to me whatever I change on my bikes!

midlife

Guru
I couldn't tell the difference either lol. The manufacturers persisted with large flange well into the 70's, especially Raleigh / Carlton.....even in trendy black

Europa.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always lusted after LF-QR hubs when I was a teenager. I suppose because all the racers had them. Eventually changed my wheels to some with LF Campag hubs and Mavic rims for tubs.

Sharky

Guru
Can't see properly on my avatar or even remember correctly, but I am sure these were large flange Bayliss Wiley hubs on 26" rims.

Did have a pair of campag record large flange QR hubs with those elongated holes, on Fiamme 18mm sprint rims with the spokes tied & soldered.
They should have been fast, but they were terrible - the spokes kept popping.

Top Bottom