1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flapjack recipe?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by another_dave_b, 27 Mar 2008.

1. Can anyone recommend a flapjack recipe? My one attempt at cooking some produced a decidedly un-yummy imitation.

2. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I made flapjack for the first time ever this weekend and it was a raving success. My Mum's old recipe did me well and it is:

200g oats
    100g 'flavourings' like dried fruit, seeds, choc chips etc. I used cranberries
    and sesame seeds
    50g plain flour
    100g butter.
    2 tbsp golden syrup
    75g brown sugar (try 50g, mine was a bit too sugary)

1) Mix the oats, flour and flavouring stuff - ie dry ingredients
    2) Melt butter, syrup, sugar in microwave
    3) Stir into the oat mixture
    4) Grease a baking tray
    5) Wack it in and level. Press down firmly
    6) 180 deg c for 20-25 mins. Check after 20 mins.
    7) Take it out and leave it to stand until it cools!!
    8) Cut into wedges whilst still ever so slightly warm

Devour standing up in the kitchen.

3. Old Walrus

Old Walrus Über Member

Try adding coconut to the mixture it makes them really gooey and moreish! Sorry no actual recipe I just judge it as it goes along.......

4. longers

longers Veteran

Coconut is a good idea, thank you, it's inspired me to get baking on Saturday :smile:

5. Rob S

Rob S New Member

This is quite incredible....on the motorbike ride home from work tonight I decided I would ask about flapjack recipes so that I could make some as a post-ride-pre-bed snack now my evening rides are just round the corner.

I want my flapjacks to imitate as closely as possible those made by The Natural Health Company which you usually find in Spar....but without costing 75p for 120 grams!!

6. A Food Programme the other week gave a big thumbs up to the Tate and Lyle ones. I've not seen them myself.

7. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

here's mine

6oz oats
    4oz sugar
    50g salted peanuts, smashed into little bits

mix in a bowl

4oz butter
    goodly squidge of runny honey
    drops of vanilla extract, not essence

melt together, but don't allow to get hot.

mix melted stuff into dry stuff, press into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for a bit (maybe 1/2 hr.) at 180C, until the tops brown but before the edges are black

8. fuzzymum1

fuzzymum1 New Member

It needs cooking less than you think. If you cook it until it's feels the right texture/firmness it will turn out like rocks when it's cooled. Take it out of the oven before it looks done and it will be muuuch nicer.

9. walker

walker New Member

raid penny jar for 69p, head to Holland and Barretts, purchase one of about 20 flavours of flapjack, Enjoy

10. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Recipes schmecipes... more to the point, whenever I take flapjack in my jersey pocket for snacking mid-ride, I end up with a bag of (tasty) crumbs....
    They'll end up in bits in my stomach I suppose, but it would be nice to eat a whole intact one, rather than shovelling crumbs down my gullet... what's the answer folks?

11. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

I find that adding cocaine or grass adds a little something!

12. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Heres the recipe i like to use:
    100g marg'
    1 X 15ml spoon of golden syrup
    100g sugar
    50g oats
    50g S/R flour
    75g Crushed cornflakes

Melt the marg' and syrup together.
    Mix in the dry ingredients pour on the marg into the mix and mix well.
    Spread evenly in a tin.
    Bake in a hot oven ( 190'C / gas mark 5) for 20 mins.
    Cut into fingures when warm.

You can add raisens, nuts and other stuff aswell, but its nice without aswell.

13. Milo

Milo Veteran

Just attempted without a recipe went somewhat astray to much syrup got one hell of a suger rush on.
    Mine would not cut and turned into a solid lump of syrup after 10 mins still edible though.
    Should have used self raising flour me thinks.

14. Rob S

Rob S New Member

That's why on rides I take the ones by The Natural Health Company from Spar...they regularly get carted 100 miles in a jersey pocket before being eaten and they are still in one piece.

15. longers

longers Veteran

I tried something new today (as well as the coconut suggested by Old Walrus). After taking the trays out the oven I pressed the 'jack back down flat with a spatula as it seems to fluff up a bit while cooking.

They've not cooled properly yet but seem much firmer than usual.