Flapjack recipe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

another_dave_b

Can anyone recommend a flapjack recipe? My one attempt at cooking some produced a decidedly un-yummy imitation.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I made flapjack for the first time ever this weekend and it was a raving success. My Mum's old recipe did me well and it is:

200g oats
100g 'flavourings' like dried fruit, seeds, choc chips etc. I used cranberries
and sesame seeds
50g plain flour
100g butter.
2 tbsp golden syrup
75g brown sugar (try 50g, mine was a bit too sugary)

1) Mix the oats, flour and flavouring stuff - ie dry ingredients
2) Melt butter, syrup, sugar in microwave
3) Stir into the oat mixture
4) Grease a baking tray
5) Wack it in and level. Press down firmly
6) 180 deg c for 20-25 mins. Check after 20 mins.
7) Take it out and leave it to stand until it cools!!
8) Cut into wedges whilst still ever so slightly warm

Devour standing up in the kitchen.

Rob S

This is quite incredible....on the motorbike ride home from work tonight I decided I would ask about flapjack recipes so that I could make some as a post-ride-pre-bed snack now my evening rides are just round the corner.

I want my flapjacks to imitate as closely as possible those made by The Natural Health Company which you usually find in Spar....but without costing 75p for 120 grams!!

OP
OP
A

another_dave_b

Rob S said:
I want my flapjacks to imitate as closely as possible those made by The Natural Health Company which you usually find in Spar....but without costing 75p for 120 grams!!

A Food Programme the other week gave a big thumbs up to the Tate and Lyle ones. I've not seen them myself.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
here's mine

6oz oats
4oz sugar
50g salted peanuts, smashed into little bits

mix in a bowl

4oz butter
goodly squidge of runny honey
drops of vanilla extract, not essence

melt together, but don't allow to get hot.

mix melted stuff into dry stuff, press into a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for a bit (maybe 1/2 hr.) at 180C, until the tops brown but before the edges are black

fuzzymum1

It needs cooking less than you think. If you cook it until it's feels the right texture/firmness it will turn out like rocks when it's cooled. Take it out of the oven before it looks done and it will be muuuch nicer.

walker

raid penny jar for 69p, head to Holland and Barretts, purchase one of about 20 flavours of flapjack, Enjoy

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Recipes schmecipes... more to the point, whenever I take flapjack in my jersey pocket for snacking mid-ride, I end up with a bag of (tasty) crumbs....
They'll end up in bits in my stomach I suppose, but it would be nice to eat a whole intact one, rather than shovelling crumbs down my gullet... what's the answer folks?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Heres the recipe i like to use:
100g marg'
1 X 15ml spoon of golden syrup
100g sugar
50g oats
50g S/R flour
75g Crushed cornflakes

Melt the marg' and syrup together.
Mix in the dry ingredients pour on the marg into the mix and mix well.
Spread evenly in a tin.
Bake in a hot oven ( 190'C / gas mark 5) for 20 mins.
Cut into fingures when warm.

You can add raisens, nuts and other stuff aswell, but its nice without aswell.

Milo

Guru
Just attempted without a recipe went somewhat astray to much syrup got one hell of a suger rush on.
Mine would not cut and turned into a solid lump of syrup after 10 mins still edible though.
Should have used self raising flour me thinks.

Rob S

Fnaar said:
Recipes schmecipes... more to the point, whenever I take flapjack in my jersey pocket for snacking mid-ride, I end up with a bag of (tasty) crumbs....
They'll end up in bits in my stomach I suppose, but it would be nice to eat a whole intact one, rather than shovelling crumbs down my gullet... what's the answer folks?

That's why on rides I take the ones by The Natural Health Company from Spar...they regularly get carted 100 miles in a jersey pocket before being eaten and they are still in one piece.

longers

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:

I tried something new today (as well as the coconut suggested by Old Walrus). After taking the trays out the oven I pressed the 'jack back down flat with a spatula as it seems to fluff up a bit while cooking.

They've not cooled properly yet but seem much firmer than usual.

Top Bottom