Flapjack recipe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
Thanks for the recipe.
The only thing I would add, use baking paper to line your tin :smile:

Cathryn said:
I made flapjack for the first time ever this weekend and it was a raving success. My Mum's old recipe did me well and it is:

200g oats
100g 'flavourings' like dried fruit, seeds, choc chips etc. I used cranberries
and sesame seeds
50g plain flour
100g butter.
2 tbsp golden syrup
75g brown sugar (try 50g, mine was a bit too sugary)

1) Mix the oats, flour and flavouring stuff - ie dry ingredients
2) Melt butter, syrup, sugar in microwave
3) Stir into the oat mixture
4) Grease a baking tray
5) Wack it in and level. Press down firmly
6) 180 deg c for 20-25 mins. Check after 20 mins.
7) Take it out and leave it to stand until it cools!!
8) Cut into wedges whilst still ever so slightly warm

Devour standing up in the kitchen.

longers

Legendary Member
Mine were lovely and firm too so it was a weekend of nationwide flapjack success :smile:.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I shall tell the Mother that her recipe is nationally appreciated! Yes, I know I need baking paper but it's not easy to come by in the centre of Leeds, so I cheated.

Tempted to make more now!!

surfgurl

Cathryn, many thanks for the recipe. It's brilliant! Say thank you to your Mum for me as well!
I'm eating some of batch one with raisins while sat at the computer- statutory taste tests and all that. Batch two with chocolate chips is due out in 15 minutes. The chocolate chips all melted when I mixed in the gooey syrup stuff. I shall be tasting those after tea!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Excellent recipe Cathryn. I printed off the whole thread and noted what different people said, especially Longer's bit about flattening the flapjacks after taking them out of the oven.

I have some honey that needs using up, but it has seperated. Is it still useable, instead of the syrup?

Domestique

Über Member
Cathryn said:
I shall tell the Mother that her recipe is nationally appreciated! Yes, I know I need baking paper but it's not easy to come by in the centre of Leeds, so I cheated.

Tempted to make more now!!

Get baking girl :angry:
Btw, thank you very much for the recipe, we where at it again yesterday :blush:

Yeah Cathryn - wicked recipeeee Mum! :laugh:
(That's enough street talk...)

I have been making 'My Little Nourishments' - twice since the recipe was posted.
Last time I crushed some salted peanuts into the mix - 50gm or so (can't remember:blush: ). In the absence of listed ingredients, I used maple syrup, sugar was muscofastervado and slung in a sachet of vanilla sugar, which probably didn't make much difference.:rolleyes:
Now. Hmmm, what can I add today..?

Gordon Ramsay - you're fired!

Speicher said:
I have some honey that needs using up, but it has seperated. Is it still useable, instead of the syrup?

Speich!
You can re-liquify crystalised honey by putting the jar in a bowl of warm water until it becomes clear again.

yello

I tried Cathryns' mum's recipe today too. Excellent and oh so easy. Like Speicher, I 'd like to use honey instead of golden syrup as I find the syrup a little too, um, syrupy! Anyone tried using honey instead?

After the concoction of choice has cooked, I 'polish' flat the slab of flapjack with the back of a tablespoon...fairly firmly - to the point of obsession:blush: (but remember it is still soft.)
The greaseproof paper idea is a good one, as I let the whole slab go 'cold' and then cut into sections with a sharp knife - perfect!
I'm just designing the wrapper!
The baking tray dimensions for my effort is about 24 x 17 cm (91/2 x 7 inches :wacko:approx)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm actually down with the Mother this weekend and have just shown her the thread - she is delighted with her flapjack fame and is very pleased everyone is liking it.

Might encourage her to get into the kitchen and cook some more...hahaha

yello

My recipe tweaks; 1 tbsp golden syrup, 1 tbsp honey, 40g brown sugar and (the real coup) grated fresh ginger!

My batch with all honey wasn't soft/moist enough. 50g of sugar was still too sweet for me, I may even experiment with less than 40. Dried fruit; I've used sultanas, cherries, banana, apricot - the latter 2 don't work for me. I might try fresh banana and cranberries next. But the ginger! It is superd! Adds a real zing!

Top Bottom