FLAT 100 km ride from Garforth, Saturday 11th June 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
*** NB I have been having a few problems with my legs and back so this now a 100 km ride only! ***

Hi All. It's about time I organised another ride, so let's do the Garforth one again in June.

The full route is 100 easy, flat miles but you could take a shortcut back to Garforth after our cafe stop and do 103 kms instead. (If the weather turns nasty on us during the ride, we could ALL take the shortcut back!)

The date has been chosen to avoid the long Jubilee bank holiday weekend - let's pencil the ride in for Saturday, 11th June with a reserve date of the 18th in case of appalling weather on the 11th?

Littgull and I will be catching the train out to Garforth station, just to the east of Leeds and we will be doing a big clockwise loop from there. Our official start time is 09:15, about 5 minutes after our train is supposed to arrive. Obviously, if the train is held up there might be a delay. I'll make sure that I have a phone number for at least a couple of people meeting us at Garforth so I can let you know if there are significant delays.

NB Despite being a small town, Garforth has a second station (East Garforth) - don't go to that one by mistake!

It is an EXTREMELY flat route which I will be tackling on my singlespeed bike. There are just a couple of short testing climbs which you could walk up in 3 or 4 minutes if you had to. Ideal for anybody else who fancies a long ss/fixed ride, or anybody with gears who would like an easy chatty ride.

We won't be aiming for a quick ride, but given that it is such easy terrain I'd hope that we could manage an average of (say) 20 kph/12.5 mph, giving us a ride time of 8 hours with (say) 1.5 hours of stops on top of that. So, let's aim for a return to Garforth around 19:00.

NB The route, map, profile and GPXs below are subject to last minute changes in case of road closures. Check on the Friday evening to see if there have been any such changes.

Rough description of route: Garforth, Barwick in Elmet, Aberford, Bramham, Wetherby, Spofforth, Cowthorpe, Boston Spa, Bramham again, Ulleskelf, Cawood (cafe at Cawood park), Wistow, Thorpe Willoughby, Gateforth (shortcut across to Hillam for anybody wanting to do only a metric century; shown on the map by a red arrow), Carlton, Snaith, Gowdall, Moss, Trumfleet, Thorpe in Balne, Campsall, Norton Priory, Womersley, Cridling Stubbs, Beal, Hillam, Fairburn, Kippax, Garforth.

Map:

garforth-century-ride-2020-png.png

Profile (Almost completely FLAT!):

garforth-century-ride-2020-profile-png.png

Please note: We will be using a cycle path from Wetherby to Spofforth. I'm mentioning this because a couple of riders complained about it the first time. I really don't understand why - the surface was pretty good and most of us had no problems whatsoever! It is about only 4 km long. As long as it hasn't been raining heavily for weeks beforehand, it should be fine.

We will have one official stop at Cawood Park, after 66 km (41 miles). [NB I will check nearer the time that it will be open.]

Those of us doing the imperial century will have another short break somewhere about 3 hours further on. We won't be passing many shops so make sure that you have enough drinks to get you to Cawood, where you can refill your bottles. Also make sure that you carry enough snacks/food/gels (whatever you consume on long rides) to get you back from Cawood to Garforth.

I have attached GPX files for the imperial century and metric century routes. They are designed to work with my ancient Etrex GPS. If you use a GPS device, make sure that your GPS understands my files. Some people have to edit them to suit their hardware.

Don't be put off by the distance - you can take a shortcut after our cafe stop to lop off much of the southern loop. Don't be put off by fear that it will be too quick for you - it won't be! If you don't like riding at a steady pace and chatting though, this ride won't be for you.

If you are interested, post below.

***** ColinJ's forum rider tag list *****
Fellow forum riders, I am planning another ride!

@colly, @Littgull, @neil_merseyside, @Sea of vapours, @Domus, @Julia9054, @Spiderweb, @Slioch, @EasyPeez, @Kestevan, @Venod, @Soltydog, @NorthernDave, @Buck, @si_c, @videoman

If anybody wants their name to be added to the list, let me know. :smile:

(If anybody wants their name to be removed, let me know, but... :cry:)

NB Make sure that you have enabled tag alerts in your account preferences - HERE (tick 'mentions you in a message')

(I have added a few more names to the list of people who showed interest in rides out that way in the past. Apologies to anybody who SHOULD be on the list, but isn't - let me know and I will add you to it.)

GPX viewer

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Garforth metric century 2022.gpx
    18.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Garforth imperial century 2022.gpx
    28.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Would love to come, but thats gonna be a bad weekend for me, moving house around then and my Father's birthday that weekend!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Would love to come, but thats gonna be a bad weekend for me, moving house around then and my Father's birthday that weekend!
Good luck with the move. Staying over there, or moving to a different area? :whistle:

There will be a Cheshire ride later in the summer if you are still within range for that.

si_c

Guru
Good luck with the move. Staying over there, or moving to a different area? :whistle:

There will be a Cheshire ride later in the summer if you are still within range for that.

Moving two miles down the road, new house has a garage so no more bikes in the conservatory 😁

Buck

Guru
Excellent news! Would love to join. Put me as a possibility. Ive just got to check that theres nothing planned that I’m unaware of.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
:sad: I'm working that day, so can't make it. If I'm passing through Garforth around start time though I'll be sure to give you a toot :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

:sad: I'm working that day, so can't make it. If I'm passing through Garforth around start time though I'll be sure to give you a toot :okay:

Drat!

The Humber Bridge ride will take place later in the year - hopefully you can make it to that one. I'll consult @Littgull first on his availability for that and come up with a shortlist of dates, and you can pick one of those if you are free for any of them. (I can't do this for everyone on every ride because when I tried it in the past I ended up with equal numbers of choices for all the dates and then had to choose anyway, which made it seem like some people's votes were more important than others! :wacko:)

There is also a chance that Littgull and I will repeat the second Garforth route that we trialled last November. Probably in October this time though - mid-November was getting a bit late in the year for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I can't make it either, saturdays are a problem this year due to childcare duties :angry:
That's a pity.

Sundays are a problem for me and Littgull, with no trains early enough to get us to remote starts in time. Long mid-week rides would require us to travel out on crowded peak-time trains, which would be a nightmare.

What I could do though is to organise a Sunday ride starting from the Calder Valley? It would inevitably be hilly. I'll start a separate thread about that soon to gauge interest.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have now copied and pasted the route details from the previous ride thread.

There seems to be a problem with the GPX viewer which the forum software inserts. I'll report that to Shaun.

More riders wanted!! 👍

Top Bottom