FLAT 100 km ride from Garforth, Saturday 11th June 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unfortunately, @Littgull has had to withdraw with a knee problem. GWS, Brian!

That leaves 3...

Actually, er, I am having leg problems too! My left leg is suffering some numbness and swelling following a metric century last weekend. It has not been quite right since my DVT 10 years ago. This kind of thing sometimes happens and usually only lasts for a few hours, but so far this time the discomfort has lasted 3 days.

I have only done some short rides since the metric century and they have been okay - the problem seems worse off the bike. I am going to try and do a couple of moderate rides before next weekend and see how I get on.

Assuming my test rides go ok and the trains are running, I will still be up for this ride, BUT... @Buck - how would you feel about you and I just doing the metric century by taking the post-cafe shortcut with @Domus? It would be sensible for me not to push my luck with my bad leg, especially since I haven't done a 100 mile ride since last November.

Buck

Guru
I’d be happy with that @ColinJ There’s no point pushing it if you’re not 100% fit.

GWS to Brian @Littgull as well :okay:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
There is a surprising lack of interest in the Garforth ride this year compared to previous ones! :sad:

Anyway... @Soltydog - what is the latest rail industrial action news? Are Northern trains likely to be running as planned on the 11th? :whistle:

I'm not sure on the latest news re industrial action, I've been on leave :okay:. I believe RMT have voted to strike, but I don't think they have announced any dates yet & they are required by law to give 2 weeks notice, so you should be fine 🤞 I'm back in on Thursday, so I'll fine out what the state of play is then 👍

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Cheers, @Soltydog!

I don't know what is going on with my legs... I got my first ever bout of Restless Legs Syndrome last night. Damn irritating, and tiring, so I hope that doesn't become a regular thing as it is for some people.

Sorry to hear about @ColinJ having a leg problem too. Hopefully, only very temporary. A wise decision in the circumstances to do the metric century instead of the imperial one.

Thanks for your good wishes Colin and@buck. I'll be on the phone early tomorrow to my GP surgery to get an appointment and diagnosis of the exact problem with my knee.

Hoping to ride with you all later in the summer with a fixed knee.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Legs a lot better but have backache now, so I'll stick to 100 km only.

The forecast is currently for warm sunny conditions on Saturday. Wind assistance for first half but a slog back?

If anybody fancies joining us, feel free to express your interest below!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You've probably heard by now, but if not, the RMT have strikes planned for 21st, 23rd & 25th June. You'll be ok for this ride, but may affect any other rides planned. Apparently talks are ongoing, but I know the talks at Northern are very unlikely to make progress :sad: so there could be more disruption through the summer :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You've probably heard by now, but if not, the RMT have strikes planned for 21st, 23rd & 25th June. You'll be ok for this ride, but may affect any other rides planned.

Yes, thanks - I spotted the news in the Metro today.

I was thinking that other rides this year could well be organised at short notice (a maximum of 1.5 weeks ahead?) to be sure to avoid strike days.

Given past experience I would say that strikes on the 21st, 23rd and 25th will also mean big disruptions on the 22nd, 24th and 26th. Maybe even the 27th too? (Trains and/or crews in the wrong place.)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Given past experience I would say that strikes on the 21st, 23rd and 25th will also mean big disruptions on the 22nd, 24th and 26th. Maybe even the 27th too? (Trains and/or crews in the wrong place.)

Yes max disruption for minimum wage loss

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I hope that @Buck and @Domus are still up for this ride? :whistle:

We might have a couple of showers tomorrow, but quite a few sunny spells.

There looks like being a strong blustery SW wind all day, so the first 37 km to Tockwith should be very easy. We then turn into a cross-headwind for a 12 km slog to Bramham. That wind will give me even more pain than usual on my singlespeed bike up the windmill climb (roughly 200 m at 10%). Then we turn left to get a cross-tailwind for 18 km to our cafe stop at Cawood. After the stop, the 36 km run back to Garforth has us increasingly turning into the wind so that could be a real grind! :okay:

I am lucky with the trains... I have dodged the rail strike. The line between Bradford and Leeds is closed next weekend for tunnel repairs. I would not have fancied adding the extra from/to Bradford.

I have a phone number ending in 287 for Buck but I don't have one for Domus. I will post below once I am on the train to Leeds and/or will post below and text Buck if there are any problems/significant delays.

Last-minute additions to the rider list would be very welcome (posted ColinJ forlornly!)...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yikes - I just found out that the cafe is closed tomorrow! :eek:

I will go back through previous posts and check out suggested alternatives. If we can't find anywhere suitable then make sure you carry enough food and drink for the whole ride.

Domus

Guru
Phone number sent by PM

Could we re route through Tadcsater and find somewhere? Three of us shouldn't find any problem finding some beans on toast. :hungry:

Buck

Guru
6AC024A2-85EC-41DC-B87E-D2DF83AB3FC1.jpeg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Phone number sent by PM
Ok, phone communications have now been established!

Still up for it.

Birkin Fisheries is a cyclists destination and will just require a slight change of route.
We could go there... I remember checking that out previously. The problem with it is that it is 85% of the way into the ride. It closes at 3 pm, which certainly shouldn't be a problem unless we had mechanical problems, but I would probably just feel like pressing on at that point.

I found a potential alternative in Cawood itself. The garden centre suggested last year has now closed, but The Pickled Postie might be good? It it is at the crossroads in Cawood. The problem with it would be where to leave the bikes? I only have one lock - a stupidly heavy u-lock which I definitely would not want to lug round for 100+ kms. It is shut now so I can't ask them.

Could we re route through Tadcaster and find somewhere? Three of us shouldn't find any problem finding some beans on toast. :hungry:
That might be the easiest option. I found The Lemon Tree cafe and a Costa on the High St. Very close to a bike shop, though hopefully we wouldn't need their services.

Last edited:
Top Bottom