Flat bar road bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Some flat bar road bikes have thicker tyres, but quite a lot have the same size tyres as road bikes with drops. Skinny tyres have to be punped to higher pressure than fatter tyres. Higher pressures mean less rolling resistance, but a firmer ride. Some flat-barred fast commuters, such as the original Cannondale Bad Boy have 26" wheels which are inherently stronger than 700mm wheels. Some bike brands offer a range of road bikes in which the cheapest has flat bars and the rest, drops. Flat bar road bikes and many cheaper drop bar road bikes are built around frames with eyelets for fitting racks and mudguards, but more expensive road bikes generally don't have them.

OP
OP
X

Xenri

Hmm interesting...I havnt been looking at any drop bar bikes since I thought they would be more aggresive than what I was looking for, but there are some good points here. What bikes sit in that lower range that would have the eyelets?

Would it be worth the time/effort/money to convert after I have the bike? This is all new to me lol

ACS

Legendary Member
My commute is a 80% rural and 20% town. Using the bar ends allow me to take a more relaxed, stretched position out of town. I feel a lot safer in a more up right position when in town, brake levers at finger tips, able to look over around cars etc.
Also consider the condition of the roads you will be using, lots of pot holes, poor surface err on the side of caution, stong wheels.
I have drop handle bar bikes but find my self riding on the top most of the time.
Lots to think about. :biggrin:

Xenri said:
Hmm interesting...I havnt been looking at any drop bar bikes since I thought they would be more aggresive than what I was looking for, but there are some good points here. What bikes sit in that lower range that would have the eyelets?

Would it be worth the time/effort/money to convert after I have the bike? This is all new to me lol
I think the Giant Defy 3 & 4 takes a rack

So the Defy can be used as a useful commuter or semi tourer simply by bolting on a rack.

As do the cheaper treks, I think.

All tourers take them like this and what you lose in aggressiveness /speed you gain in comfort/ practicality.

satans budgie said:
My commute is a 80% rural and 20% town. Using the bar ends allow me to take a more relaxed, stretched position out of town. I feel a lot safer in a more up right position when in town, brake levers at finger tips, able to look over around cars etc.
Also consider the condition of the roads you will be using, lots of pot holes, poor surface err on the side of caution, stong wheels.
I have drop handle bar bikes but find my self riding on the top most of the time.
Lots to think about. :biggrin:
I used to think the upright riding position too was better in traffic but found it doesn't really matter; with a road bike you can easily sit up and ride on the hoods with brakes levers at my fingertips. Its just nice to have the option to use the drops, flats, hoods etc.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Xenri said:

The least expensive drop bar road bike with eyelets I can find at the moment is the Trek 1.1. They also have an FX range of straight bar bikes. Also have a look at some of Marin's and Kona's bikes. Marin seem to have a good range of straight bar fast commuters. I assume you're in America. If you were over here I would point you at some Dawes bikes, The Edinburgh Cycle Coop's Revolution bikes, or Boardman bikes. Some cyclocross bikes can take racks and mudguards, but tend to be a bit more expensive than what you're looking at. If you do buy a straight bar road bike, you can convert to to drops at a later stage.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think if I were looking for a flat bar commuter I'd take a serious look at the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative Revolution Courrier Race - maybe the disc brake version. Rather depends on how many hills you're going to encounter, as that's a single chain ring, 8 speed cassette, so somewhat limited range, but nice and simple.

bauldbairn

porkypete said:
I think if I were looking for a flat bar commuter I'd take a serious look at the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative Revolution Courrier Race - maybe the disc brake version. Rather depends on how many hills you're going to encounter, as that's a single chain ring, 8 speed cassette, so somewhat limited range, but nice and simple.

+1.

Or if your now thinking about drops/rear racks look at these;

Revolution Explorer

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12437&f%

Revolution Traveller

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12438&f%

available with an editional 15% off this Easter weekend.

bauldbairn

OP
OP
X

Xenri

So far, I have test ridden a Raleigh route 3.0, a cannondale quick 6 and a trek 7.2 fx. I gotta say I like the trek the best so far. The quick 6 was uncomfortable, even in just the quick ride around the lot, and the raleigh didn't feel nearly as solid as the others did. I am still lookIng for a raleigh cadent ft1 that's big enough for a real test ride, and I can't find a sirrus to save my life. All the bike shops that carry specilized either switched to the quick or the crosstrail.

Just did a quick search for kona and norco, and unfortunately the nearest dealers are hundreds of miles away :wacko:. Without a test a ride, I can't justify the money spent online, but they look like really nice choices, here in the us, this style of biking just isn't popular enough for them to be more prevelent I guess.

bauldbairn

Xenri said:
...here in the US, this style of biking just isn't popular enough for them to be more prevelent I guess.

Sorry Xenri didn't realise you were in the States(United) :wacko: - good luck finding a bicycle to suit. :biggrin:
I'm really surprised you can't find a Specialized Sirrus, especially in the US - but like you said if that style of bike isn't popular the shops won't stock them. :biggrin:
I've also heard it said on this forum(CC) that the US has a better selection of Raleigh bikes than we do in the UK. :biggrin:

All the best and remember to keep us up to date with you're selections/test rides. :smile:

Top Bottom