Flat bar road bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xenri

Hello everyone, I am on the market for a new bike to commute fairly regularly with. From what I can glean from bike shops and the Internet, the best fit for what I want is a flat bar road bike. I will be traveling about 15 miles round trip when I use it, and I plan on putting a rack on it to carry about 20 lbs each trip. Other than my last bike (a Raleigh comfort hybrid a few years ago) I am relatively ignorant about modern bike technology.

The current choices are:

Raleigh Detour 4.0
Raleigh Cadent FT1
Trek 7.2 FX
Scott P55 (absolute top of my price range)

I am lookng to spend in the neighborhood of 500 or so, maybe a little more for a really nice bike. Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially concerning the weaknesses or strengths of differet brands, as I have very little idea about the history and quality of these brands. Also, any suggestions for other choices are definately appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Xenri, have you glanced in the 'Café' section and seen the post where CChat contributor's bikes are listed? Check out to see if the ones you list are mentioned and it might be a starting point for your decision making. For sure, as you read this forum you'll be wondering when you get your next bike - to go with the one you haven't bought yet! :smile:
Have fun.
I'll go and find it: https://www.cyclechat.net/

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
My big issue with flat barred commuters is that when you put bar-ends on them, they look naff. This was my big problem with my Ridgeback Genesis. I needed bar-ends to give me a change of hand positions for climbing hills and avoiding pins and needles on long rides. A lot of flat-barred fast commuters have slightly swept up-and-back handlebars. If you can find a fast commuter with really straight handlebars, the bar-ends won't look so naff.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have Dirt Rodz Bar Ends fitted on by Sirrus (06), I have added bar tape for extra comfort. Works for me and as for looking naff, who cares. My comfort is more important than someone else’s opinion on the aesthetic value of my commuter bike.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I cared about the way they disfigured my Genesis Day 01. I used to think it was beautiful until I put the bar ends on. I tried about six different pairs and each set looked wrong. Then I gave up and put drops on. It's like bar ends look naff on mountain bikes with riser bars, but fine on straight bars. Bar ends look fine on my straight barred mountainbike. My shortie bar ends look a bit naff on my Brompton M bars, but that can't be helped as they really help my ride.

rb58

Enigma
Hi Xenri - I've been commuting 15 miles each way on a Specialized Sirrus for about 4 years now. I'd certainly buy another one if I had to replace it. You should be able to get one within your budget too.

ACS

Legendary Member
rb58 said:
Hi Xenri - I've been commuting 15 miles each way on a Specialized Sirrus for about 4 years now. I'd certainly buy another one if I had to replace it. You should be able to get one within your budget too.

I purchased my Sirrus Sport 06 second hand - £120, used it almost every day for a 20 mile round trip for the last 18 months or so. Like rb58 I would get another one without hesitation. In fact I have been toying with the idea of getting top spec one as a road bike.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Xenri said:
The current choices are:

Raleigh Detour 4.0
Raleigh Cadent FT1
Trek 7.2 FX
Scott P55 (absolute top of my price range)

I think out of that lot I'd go for the Raleigh Cadent and 2nd choice would be the Trek.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd really think about the bars, and ride position, first, then look at bikes that match that. Pencil in your other requirements like ability to take mudguards, rack etc and you can start narrowing it down properly. I started with a flat barred sports hybrid and have been through a few handlebar variations since.

The option of multiple hand positions makes a huge difference IME. You can get this in a variety of ways but I would rate plain flat bars as the weakest of your options. If you do a search on my posts there're are some recent summaries of useful info.

OP
OP
X

Xenri

Thanks for all the input. Went looking for a sirrus today and the guy mentioned a cannondale quick as a better alternative. Any opinion on that? I havnt seen those mentioned here, but I think I saw a couple on the cafe board. Also, he mentioned that Raleigh makes a lower quality frame than cannondale, specilized and trek. Any truth to that? Thanks again for the input :blush:.

satans budgie said:
I purchased my Sirrus Sport 06 second hand - £120, used it almost every day for a 20 mile round trip for the last 18 months or so. Like rb58 I would get another one without hesitation. In fact I have been toying with the idea of getting top spec one as a road bike.
The Sirrus is a great bike but IMO if your going to spend the cash you'd be better with a dropped bar bike.

OP
OP
X

Xenri

Are the drop bar bikes as easy to put a rack and fenders on? I am definately putting a rack on this bike, and I know the thinner the tire, the less weight it can handle, and drop bar bikes typically have thinner wheels right? And I thought the more upright stance on a flat bar was better for short distances? I'll be doing 15 miles a day, but that will be in ~5 mile bursts.

Maz

Guru
satans budgie said:
I have Dirt Rodz Bar Ends fitted on by Sirrus (06), I have added bar tape for extra comfort. Works for me and as for looking naff, who cares. My comfort is more important than someone else’s opinion on the aesthetic value of my commuter bike.
Exactly.

I've got a Sirrus (08) Elite with bar ends. Great bike, Xenri, and definitely worth a test ride.

Xenri said:
Are the drop bar bikes as easy to put a rack and fenders on? I am definately putting a rack on this bike, and I know the thinner the tire, the less weight it can handle, and drop bar bikes typically have thinner wheels right? And I thought the more upright stance on a flat bar was better for short distances? I'll be doing 15 miles a day, but that will be in ~5 mile bursts.
Depends what drop bar bike you are going for, pure thorough bred racers most likely not, winter trainers (like kinesis) yes and tourers most definitely.
IMO you'd feel the benefit of drop bars (especially if its windy) and they'll lend them self to more leisure uses. Flat bars are good too IME, just not quite as good especially in wind.

Maz

Guru
HLaB said:
The Sirrus is a great bike but IMO if your going to spend the cash you'd be better with a dropped bar bike.
I must say I agree. I was a late convert to dropped bar bikes and, as good as the Sirrus is, I don't think I would buy another flat-bar bike.

Top Bottom